After $112.5 million settlement, Duke forms new Office of Research

Lawrence Carin named VP of Research

Duke has launched a new university-wide Office of Research, and Lawrence Carin, James L. Meriam professor of electrical and computer engineering, will take the helm as the new vice president of research.

Carin has served as vice provost for research since 2014. His past responsibilities will be absorbed into his new position. 

His role is "part of Duke’s commitment to establish a new, integrated leadership structure for research to provide clear and consistent policy guidance, oversight and accountability for all research," according to a Wednesday news release

After Duke settled a $112.5 million scientific misconduct lawsuit earlier this year, President Vincent Price created Duke's external Advisory Panel on Research Integrity and Excellence. That panel has endorsed the Office of Research, according to the release.

The new vice president for research will report to both Provost Sally Kornbluth and A. Eugene Washington, chancellor for health affairs.

“Larry Carin is distinguished scientist, a respected leader and a skilled executive,” Kornbluth said in the release. “Over the past year, he has recognized both our enormous strengths as a research institution, and the vulnerabilities that come from having such a decentralized system. We have great confidence in his ability to guide the whole Duke research enterprise into the future.”

The announcement noted that Carin will keep his responsibility of "leading research strategy and development for schools," as he did as vice provost for research. He will add on to his obligations with the "university-wide responsibility for research policy, coordination with federal research sponsors, compliance, scientific integrity and technology transfer."

Geeta Swamy, the former vice dean and associate vice provost for scientific integrity, is now the associate vice president for research, and she will remain as vice dean in the School of Medicine.

Duke spent more than $1 billion on research in the fiscal year 2017, according to the release. 

Bre Bradham

Bre is a senior political science major from South Carolina, and she is the current video editor, special projects editor and recruitment chair for The Chronicle. She is also an associate photography editor and an investigations editor. Previously, she was the editor-in-chief and local and national news department head. 

Twitter: @brebradham

Email: breanna.bradham@duke.edu

Share and discuss “After $112.5 million settlement, Duke forms new Office of Research” on social media.