The independent news organization of Duke University

Could Tre Jones return for Duke men's basketball? He seems to be thinking about it

Tre Jones posted a cryptic Instagram caption that suggested he is considering staying at Duke next year.

Maybe the Final Four has Tre Jones thinking.

Late Saturday night, the Blue Devil freshman posted on his Instagram with the caption "Year 2?" and sparked some buzz as to possibility of Jones returning to Duke for a sophomore season instead of turning pro.

View this post on Instagram

Year 2?

A post shared by @ trejones03 on

Team spokesman Mike DeGeorge did not have any further information on Jones' decision.

Jones added to the suspense with another post less than 24 hours later, which portrayed himself sitting in his locker during the NCAA tournament with his jersey hanging behind him.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @ trejones03 on

If Jones does indeed come back to Durham, he'll be looking to build on a freshman campaign which he ended with some momentum. The Apple Valley, Minn., native scored a then-career-best 18 points in the ACC tournament title game against Florida State, only to top it with 22 against Virginia Tech in the Sweet 16, knocking down five 3-pointers in the win.

Jones will need to work on his shooting from outside if he wants to become an elite two-way player. He shot just 26.2 percent from beyond the arc for the season, but used his stellar defense to finish second in ACC Defensive Player of the Year.

Comments