Duke graduate programs earn high rankings in 2020 U.S. News and World Report list

Several Duke graduate schools were ranked among the top programs nationwide by the U.S. News and World Report 2020 rankings released this past week.

The 2020 rankings evaluate graduate school programs in business, law, medicine, nursing, engineering and other fields. The rankings are determined from a variety of criteria, such as the accomplishments of incoming students—based on their grades and standardized test scores—and the success of recent graduates—based on job placement rates and starting salaries.

Duke School of Nursing's master of science in nursing program is ranked No. 2 in the nation. The school's doctor of nursing practice degree tied for No. 2, out of 146 rated programs.

“We could not maintain the high-level of performance that is recognized by these exceptional rankings without the hard work, commitment and personal support of our world-class faculty and staff, gifted students and committed alumni," said Marion Broome, Ruby Wilson professor of nursing and dean of the School of Nursing, in a Duke Today release.

Duke School of Law tied for 10th in the U.S. News rankings. It achieved several specialty rankings, including being eighth best in international law and tying for eighth in intellectual property law.

Fuqua School of Business was also ranked No. 10, with its marketing program tied for second and its executive MBA program ranked sixth in specialty categories. 

U.S. News placed Duke's School of Medicine in a tie for 13th, among 120 medical schools evaluated, with its surgery program ranked second. 

Additionally, the medical school's physician assistant program was ranked No. 1, tied with the University of Iowa, out of 169 programs evaluated. The physician assistant program has held the first position for several years.

The rankings also placed the Sanford School of Public Policy in fifth for public policy analysis, and the Pratt School of Engineering in 24th, its highest score ever.

Duke is ranked eighth among universities nationwide in the U.S. News and World Report 2019 rankings. Now tied with the University of Pennsylvania, Duke fell behind Penn to ninth place in the 2018 rankings.

Share and discuss “Duke graduate programs earn high rankings in 2020 U.S. News and World Report list” on social media.