By the numbers: A look at the stats behind the Duke-North Carolina rivalry

<p>Jahlil Okafor is hoping to reach the same level of success in the NBA as he did at Duke.</p>

Jahlil Okafor is hoping to reach the same level of success in the NBA as he did at Duke.

Duke’s series record vs. North Carolina: 111-137

The Blue Devils lost the first game in the series before winning the next two in March 1920 and January 1921. They have never led in the series since that point.

Duke’s all-time NCAA tournament record: 111-37 (.750)

The Blue Devils have the highest winning percentage in the NCAA tournament of any team.

Duke’s Final Four appearances: 16

The first Final Four appearance in Blue Devil history came in 1963, and Duke made five straight trips to the Final Four between 1988 and 1992

Duke’s NCAA titles: 5 (1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2015)

Of the five programs to win at least five NCAA titles, the Blue Devils’ first came the latest, when they took out Kansas in 1991.

Coach K’s record vs. North Carolina since 2003-04: 19-14

Blue Devil head coach Mike Krzyzewski won his first three Tobacco Road rivalry matchups against Roy Williams and Duke is 46-42 vs. the Tar Heels all-time under Coach K.

Duke’s ACC titles: 39 (19 regular-season, 20 tournament)

The Blue Devils’ most recent ACC title came two seasons ago in 2017, when they won four games in four days at the Barclays Center in New York, beating North Carolina in the semifinals and Notre Dame in the finals. Their 20 tournament titles are the most of any team in the conference, two more than the Tar Heels.

This is part of our extensive preview coverage for this year's first meeting between Duke and North Carolina. Check out more of our content here, including top games of this season and historically for the Blue Devils, breakdowns of the matchups at every position for Wednesday night and our writers' predictions for the game.

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “By the numbers: A look at the stats behind the Duke-North Carolina rivalry” on social media.