The Chronicle's Duke-North Carolina men's basketball rivalry preview

Ninety-nine years after college basketball's two Tobacco Road programs first met, the greatest rivalry in the sport will be renewed Wednesday night at 9 at Cameron Indoor Stadium, and The Chronicle is here for all the coverage you need about this year's matchup and the rivalry's history.

We broke down every starter for Duke—Tre Jones, R.J. Barrett, Cam Reddish, Zion Williamson and Marques Bolden—and how they match up with North Carolina. The Blue Devils may also need improvement from their struggling reserves to come out on top against the Tar Heels and enjoy success for the rest of the season.

Duke enters the rivalry matchup as the No. 1 team in the nation for the first time since 2006, and the spotlight placed on the team has been off the charts thanks primarily to human highlight reel Zion Williamson. Here's how the Blue Devils have gotten to this point with their five most memorable wins of the season so far.

Historically, both Duke and North Carolina are among the most accomplished bluebloods in college basketball by the numbers, and they've played numerous instant classics over the years. We broke down the Blue Devils' 10 most memorable wins in the series and talked with renowned author John Feinstein about the rivalry's development and the relationships between the Hall of Fame coaches involved over the years.

Duke students have been camped out for the game in Krzyzewskiville since the start of the spring semester five weeks ago, and the process to get coveted front-row spots in Cameron is a competitive one that involves extensive knowledge of Duke basketball history and attendance at other sporting events.

So who's going to win Wednesday night? Six of our writers all made predictions for the final score of the game and how it'll all go down.

Stay with us for all our pregame, in-game and postgame coverage at dukechronicle.com, on Twitter @dukebasketball or on Facebook at the Duke Chronicle's page. And be sure to check out our friends in Chapel Hill at The Daily Tar Heel for similar in-depth coverage from the other side's perspective.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle's Duke-North Carolina men's basketball rivalry preview” on social media.