ACC announces future conference matchups for Duke men's basketball through 2021-22 season

<p>R.J. Barrett likely won't be a part of next year's Duke team, which will be the first to play a 20-game ACC schedule.</p>

R.J. Barrett likely won't be a part of next year's Duke team, which will be the first to play a 20-game ACC schedule.

When the ACC Network launches next, basketball will increase to a 20-game schedule for the first time in league history. So start marking your calendars for the next three seasons.

The ACC announced its conference matchups through the 2021-22 season Thursday afternoon, with no real drastic changes. Each team will keep its two primary rivals—for Duke, those teams are North Carolina and Wake Forest—and play them in a home-and-home series each season. Then, each team will have four matchups over the course of the three seasons with each of the other 12 teams—one year of a home-and-home, one just at home and one only on the road.

If that's confusing, we can break it down differently:

• Four of the 20 games will be traditional rivalry matchups (one home, one on the road for each of the two rivals). 
  • Eight more will be home-and-home series with four other random teams, with no team playing another (excluding rivals) in more than one home-and-home during the next three seasons. 
  • Then, the last eight will be four home games and four road games against the remaining eight teams not a part of that year's home-and-home series.

Here are Duke's future opponents beginning next season:

2019-20

Home: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Boston College, Miami, N.C. State, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh

Away: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Boston College, Miami, N.C. State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Virginia

2020-21

Home: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Clemson, Syracuse, Virginia

Away: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Miami, N.C. State, Virginia Tech

2021-22

Home: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Clemson, Florida State, Syracuse, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Miami, N.C. State, Virginia Tech

Away: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Clemson, Florida State, Syracuse, Virginia, Boston College, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “ACC announces future conference matchups for Duke men's basketball through 2021-22 season” on social media.