Tre Jones' injury not as severe as initially thought, Coach K indicates he won't be out for 'a month or something'

<p>Tre Jones has been one of the most important players on Duke's roster thus far thanks to his lockdown defense and smooth distributing.</p>

Tre Jones has been one of the most important players on Duke's roster thus far thanks to his lockdown defense and smooth distributing.

This story was updated Thursday at 3 p.m. to include head coach Mike Krzyzewski's comments as published by The Athletic.

With Cam Reddish already sidelined by illness, Duke lost another piece of its star-studded freshman foursome Monday.

Starting point guard Tre Jones collided with Frank Howard in the opening minutes of the top-ranked Blue Devils' 95-91 overtime loss to Syracuse, sending him to the locker room with what was initially diagnosed as a right shoulder sprain. Head coach Mike Krzyzewski said afterwards that both Jones' shoulder and collarbone showed no signs of a break, but added that Jones was "in a lot of pain" and didn't specify a return to action for the freshman.

Later Monday night, Duke officially announced in a statement that Jones' injury is an AC joint separation. Jones will be out "indefinitely" and the Steadman Clinic lists a wide range for recovery time, with recovery time taking anywhere from "a few days to 12 weeks, depending on the severity."

But in a story posted by Dana O'Neil of The Athletic Thursday afternoon, Coach K indicated that Jones may return to action sooner than once thought.

“I don’t know if it’s for this game or the next game, but it’s not going to be long term, where it’s a month or something,’’ Coach K told O'Neil, explaining that the injury is a bit more severe than a Grade 1 separation.  “He’s going to be back.’’

Leading the NCAA in assist-to-turnover ratio and one of Duke's most important pieces on defense, Jones has been one of the most important pieces in Duke's dominance thus far. The Apple Valley, Minn. native had averaged 30.8 minutes per game, 5.9 assists per game and 8.5 points per game entering Monday. 

In less than 10 minutes against the Orange, Jones had already logged four steals to put the visiting team in an early double-digit hole.

This is a developing story. Check back here for further updates.

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “Tre Jones' injury not as severe as initially thought, Coach K indicates he won't be out for 'a month or something'” on social media.