Duke accepts 882 students out of record number of Early Decision applicants

Duke will welcome 882 high school seniors into the Class of 2023 Thursday evening.

According to a Duke Today release, 51 percent of the incoming class will be admitted through Early Decision. With a record number of 4,852 applicants this year, the Early Decision acceptance rate decreased to 18 percent, making this year's Early Decision process the most selective in Duke's history.

“We received 800 more Early Decision applicants this year,” said Christoph Guttentag, dean of undergraduate admissions, in the release. "We were struck by the talents and accomplishments of so many of the students who applied this year, and had a difficult time choosing from among them."

Of the newest members of the Class of 2023, 714 will become a part of the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences with the other 168 enrolling in the Pratt School of Engineering.

International students comprise 6 percent of students admitted through Early Decision this year, and students of color make up 46 percent. 

North Carolina, New York, California, Florida and Texas are the states with the greatest representation among this year's Early Decision students.

Last year, of the 4,090 Early Decision applicants, 21 percent were accepted to the Class of 2022. For the Class of 2021, there were 3,516 students who applied early, and 24.5 percent were accepted. The Early Decision acceptance rate for the Class of 2020 was 23.5 percent.

This is also the first year in which admitted students can apply for between $5,000 and $15,000 of funding for a gap year.

Likhitha Butchireddygari

Follow Likhitha on Twitter

Class of 2019

Editor-in-chief 2017-18, 

Local and national news department head 2016-17

Born in Hyderabad, India, Likhitha Butchireddygari moved to Baltimore at a young age. She is pursuing a Program II major entitled "Digital Democracy and Data" about the future of the American democracy.

Stefanie Pousoulides profile
Stefanie Pousoulides | Investigations Editor

Stefanie Pousoulides is The Chronicle's Investigations Editor. A senior from Akron, Ohio, Stefanie is double majoring in political science and international comparative studies and serves as a Senior Editor of The Muse Magazine, Duke's feminist magazine. She is also a former co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse Magazine and a former reporting intern at PolitiFact in Washington, D.C.

Share and discuss “Duke accepts 882 students out of record number of Early Decision applicants” on social media.