RECESS  |  LOCAL

A Recess guide to local holiday celebrations

<p>Downtown Durham.</p>

Downtown Durham.

As the campus trees change color, a chill fills the air and the sense of dread surrounding finals sets in, Duke is settling into winter. Although it may be difficult to feel festive between exams and essays, the holiday season is a great excuse to take a study break. Here are some upcoming wintry events around Duke and the Triangle to explore this month.

North Carolina Chinese Lantern Festival: Nov. 23 to Jan. 13, Tuesday to Sunday

Cary's Booth Amphitheater will host North Carolina's Chinese Lantern Festival for the fourth year this holiday season. The event will feature twenty all-new displays comprised of thousands of LED lights. The venue will host live cultural performance two to three times a night, and will be serving a variety of festive food and drinks.

"Elf the Musical": Dec. 4 to Dec. 9

Described as a "modern day Christmas classic," "Elf the Musical" will bring everyone's favorite 2003 Christmas movie to the DPAC stage.

Night Market 2018: Dec. 6

For the second year, The Durham Hotel will be hosting a night market of festive drinks and 25 local retailers. The event will raise funds for nonprofit NC Field's Baby It's Cold Outside project, which will be used to purchase toys and warm clothing for farmworker families in eastern North Carolina, hardest hit by Hurricanes Florence and Michael.

Latkapalooza: Dec. 6

Hosted by JSU in the Krafthouse, Latkapalooza will feature jelly donuts, chocolate dreidels, a canned food drive and, of course, lots of latkes.

Durham Holiday Parade and Fun Fest: Dec. 8

Grammy-winning saxophonist and Tony Award-nominee composer Branford Marsalis and Durham Mayor Steve Schewel will kick off this year's holiday parade, leading local bands, schools, community groups and floats down Main Street. The event will also include snow sledding for kids and adults, as well as local businesses selling arts & crafts.

WinterFest: Santa with Goats: Dec. 8 to Dec. 23, Saturday-Sunday

Spring Haven Farm in Chapel Hill is hosting a unique Christmas event this year, featuring a new hayride, a Christmas market, holiday treats, hot cider, Santa and, most importantly, goats wearing elf hats.

Durham Bazaar Holiday Market at The Pinhook: Dec. 8 to Dec. 9

In addition to a DJ, pizza and cocktail specials, The Pinhook will host over fifteen handmade and vintage vendors per day.

Winter in the Garden Holiday Festival: Dec. 8

The North Carolina Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill will be lit up with the holiday spirit for this once-a-year event. In addition to professional lighting displays, the Botanical Garden will host a craft market of over 25 vendors, a cappella groups (including Duke's own Rhythm and Blue), a community sing-along and food trucks.

Holiday R&B Paint for a Cause: Dec. 8

Networking tickets are still available for this event at the Durham Ballroom. In addition to painting, the occasion will feature live R&B performances, comedy and a DJ all night. Local businesses will be featured throughout the event, and proceeds will be donated to four local charities.

Holiday Market at Vega Metals: Dec. 8

In its 10th annual Holiday Market event, Vega Metals will host food trucks, live music and lots of locally-made art.

GeekCraft Expo Holiday Market: Dec. 8 to Dec. 9

The Durham Armory will host this curated craft market featuring geeky goods for all gamers and fandoms alike. Cosplay is encouraged.

"A Christmas Carol": Dec. 12 to Dec. 16

A musical comedy adaptation of the Charles Dickens classic will hit the DPAC stage for six performances.

2018 Durham Craft Market Holiday Craft Fair: Dec. 15

This event at the Durham Convention center looks to be a one-stop shop for all holiday needs, with over fifty local artists and makers in attendance. Mediums include pottery, jewelry, photography and more.

Durham Village Holiday Market, Dec. 16 to Dec. 18

With a selection of independent craft, food and beverage vendors, The Rickhouse will host its first annual village holiday market. Each night will feature different food trucks, as well as a bar.

"The Hip Hop Nutcracker": Dec. 20

A contemporary take on Tchaikovsky’s classic music, "The Hip Hop Nutcracker" will return to DPAC for one night. Instead of a palace of sugarplums, this "Nutcracker" is a romance set in 1980s Brooklyn with a dozen all-star dancers, a DJ and violinist.

Winter Solstice Lantern Walk: Dec. 21

Hosted by the Hillsborough Arts Council to celebrate the longest night of the year, the event encourages contemplation of the beginning of the winter season. Participants are asked to bring handmade lanterns to guide them along the walk.

Triangle VegFest Holiday Market: Dec. 22

In its second annual event of vegan sellers at the Durham Armory, vendors will sell vegan merchandise and food for Holiday shoppers.

Share and discuss “A Recess guide to local holiday celebrations” on social media.