2018 Baylor football preview

2017 Season: 1-11, 1-8 in the Big 12 

Head coach: Matt Rhule (2nd season) 

The Bears enter the 2018 season coming off what could easily be considered the worst season in program history. A pair of losses to FCS opponents and a season-ending injury to starting quarterback Zach Smith did not help a team still feeling the effects of a sexual assault scandal less than two years earlier.  

Sophomore Charlie Brewer—who started the Bears final four games last season—will likely get the nod under center after Smith transferred during the offseason. Brewer shined in place of Smith, throwing for 300-plus yards in three of the four contests while completing better than 70 percent of his passes and throwing for nine touchdowns. 

Brewer will have a lot of familiarity surrounding him on offense with the team’s top three receivers returning this season. Denzel Mims paced the group with 1087 receiving yards last season and Pooh Stricklin and Chris Platt both surpassed the 400-yard plateau. Baylor will also return its top ground threats in the duo of John Lovett and JaMycal Hasty this season. 

The Bears should be able to double last season’s win total prior to hosting the Blue Devils on Sept. 15, with matchups against Abilene Christian and Texas-San Antonio to start the season. Baylor will need to win early on, however, with four ranked-opponents scheduled in the season’s final eight weeks with Big 12 powerhouses Oklahoma, Texas, TCU and West Virginia on their conference slate. 

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “2018 Baylor football preview” on social media.