Who's Who at Duke

Administrators

Vincent Price became Duke University's 10th president on July 1, 2017. Price has served as provost at Penn since 2009 and is also the Steven H. Chaffee professor of communication in the Annenberg School for Communication and a professor of political science at Penn.

Tallman Trask III is the University’s Executive Vice President and Treasurer. Trask has a lot on his plate…he deals with the budget, financials, campus planning, architecture, maintenance, construction, human resources, safety and security and other services including stores, parking and transportation. He’s responsible for making sure Duke runs efficiently every day and continues to live up to its full potential.

Sally Kornbluth is the University’s (first female!) Provost, which means she’s responsible for all academic activities of the University. She oversees classes, looks at how student life meshes with academics and interacts with the deans in each of the different schools. Prior to being named Provost, Kornbluth was the James B. Duke Professor of pharmacology and cancer biology. Kornbluth is integral in making sure every Duke student’s four years go by smoothly. Sadly, she has no way of making sure the four years go by more slowly.

Valerie Ashby is the Dean of Trinity College. She’s responsible for fulfilling Trinity’s mission of providing undergraduates with a well-rounded, engaging liberal arts education. She is committed to promoting diversity among the student body and faculty, she supports the growth of the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) and economics fields, and she is an advocate for humanities study for students of any major.

Ravi Bellamkonda is the newly appointed Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering. He comes to us from a joint faculty appointment at Georgia Tech and Emory in Biomedical Engineering and is committed to furthering the Pratt School’s already glowing reputation.

Stephen Nowicki is Dean and Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education. He influences students’ academic, extracurricular, and social experiences here at Duke in an effort to create a rich, well-rounded experience for undergrads. You’ll hear from him often with The Short List, a weekly email highlighting the top five events and important deadlines from the Office of Undergraduate Education. He’s also a professor of biology, psychology and neuroscience, so take a class with him to get to know a key Duke administrator on a more personal level!

Kyle Cavanaugh is the Vice President of Administration and serves as the university’s Emergency Coordinator. He oversees Duke’s human resources, security and police, emergency management, parking and transportation, and other administrative functions.

Larry Moneta, affectionately known as LMo, is the Vice President for Student Affairs. He’s the point of contact between the administration and student body, and you’ll hear from him regarding current issues affecting students, including snow days. Just don’t get mad at him if school isn’t cancelled – it’s not his fault! Moneta also oversees services and programs that support undergraduate, graduate and professional students, including housing, health care, career services, student activities and cultural centers.

Sue Wasiolek is the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. Dean Sue has been involved with Student Affairs at Duke for the past thirty-six years. She currently lives in Gilbert-Addoms as a Faculty-in-Residence, and her responsibilities include new student orientation, judicial affairs, residential life, parent programs, fraternity and sorority life, disability services, leadership development, student health and wellness, counseling and psychological services, mediation, and crisis response, among many others.

Student Government

Riyanka Ganguly has served as the vice president for equity and outreach and has worked to create projects such as the Peer Advocacy for Sexual Health Center as well as free menstrual projects in the Bryan Center. She has also worked with Mi Gente, the University’s Latinx student group, to make the admissions and financial aid policies for undocumented immigrants more transparent.

Kushal Kadakia, former chief of staff, is the new executive vice president.

Local Celebrities

Wallace Burrows is the Marketplace’s #1 omelette guy. Make a point to get to know Wallace, and he’ll remember your order for life. He’ll maybe even give you a nickname. Outside of making sure the most important meal of the day is also the coolest, Burrows is an artist with a passion for creative expression. Trust us when we say that shines through in his breakfast creations.

Kim Cates is the owner of the famous Shooters Saloon II. A local with a diehard passion for Duke, she makes sure every WNS (Wednesday Night Shooters – yes, it has its own acronym) and Friday and Saturday nights are rowdy and packed full of lovely lads and ladies. If there’s one person to get to know in Durham, it’s Kim Cates. Those lines get long, and you never know when she’ll come save you in the nick of time!

Brad Fortier runs Devine’s, the local Thursday (and Tuesday, if you’re feeling ambitious) night spot. With an iPod hookup to blast your favorite throwbacks and a huge patio to take a quick break from belting The Killers, Devine’s is always a good change of pace from the dance floor make outs (we don’t judge) of WNS. Get to know this guy - Brad and his staff will take care of you!

Share and discuss “Who's Who at Duke” on social media.