Meet the new dean of Sanford: Judith Kelley

Duke announced Thursday morning that Judith Kelley, currently Terry Sanford professor of public policy, will be the Sanford School of Public Policy's new dean.

On July 1, Kelley will succeed Kelly Brownell, who announced he was stepping down after five years as dean to lead the Sanford School’s new World Food Policy Center, according to a Duke Today release. Chaired by Billy Pizer, Susan B. King professor of public policy and associate dean for academic programs at the Sanford School, a committee searched months to find candidates for Brownell's position, finally landing on Kelley.

“Judith Kelley has distinguished herself as a scholar and a collaborative leader whose vision for education, discovery and service will continue the Sanford School’s momentum,” said President Vincent Price in the release.  “Her detailed knowledge of the Sanford School’s great strengths, and even greater opportunities for the future, will position Duke at the forefront of policy schools.”

Kelley, who is from Denmark, graduated from Stanford University and received M.P.P and Ph.D. degrees in public policy from Harvard University, the release noted. Her work is centered on human rights, democracy and international elections. She has also authored three books, including “Monitoring Democracy: When International Election Observation Works and Why It Often Fails." Her most recent work is "Scorecard Diplomacy: Grading States to Influence Their Reputation and Behavior."

Share and discuss “Meet the new dean of Sanford: Judith Kelley” on social media.