Duke men's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Antonio Vrankovic

<p>Antonio Vrankovic will be in a tough battle for minutes at the center position.</p>

Antonio Vrankovic will be in a tough battle for minutes at the center position.

Antonio Vrankovic

• Year: Junior
  • Height: 7-feet
  • Position: Center
  • Last year’s statline: 2.5 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 0.4 BPG

Game Breakdown: Vrankovic, standing at 7-feet tall and weighing in at 269 pounds, carries a physicality that is felt the moment he steps on the court. A traditional center, Vrankovic serves as a effective rim protector and inside presence. The Pine Crest School product makes good use of his size to be a strong rebounder. Although his offensive game isn’t flashy, Vrankovic can work in the low post and thrives on putbacks and feeds close to the hoop.

Role on the Team: The Zagreb, Croatia native saw an increased role in his sophomore campaign, and will be eyeing an even larger role in the 2017-18 season. Vrankovic is one of two listed centers—the other being sophomore Marques Bolden—on Duke’s roster. Despite this, coach Mike Krzyzewski will often opt for a smaller lineup where Wendell Carter or Marvin Bagley slides to the center spot. Vrankovic will certainly see some action off of the bench for the Blue Devils, but in all likelihood, his minutes will be limited by the standout freshmen.

NBA Comparison: As a beefy, defensive-minded seven-footer, Vrankovic profiles similarly to New Orleans Pelicans’ center Omer Asik. The NBA veteran isn’t known much for his offensive game, but is highly regarded for his interior defense and rebounding, as is Vrankovic. Although not flashy, Asik has established a defined role for himself in the NBA, and the eight-year veteran should have a roster spot for years to come.

Projected stats: 0.5 PPG, 2.1 RPG, 0.5 BPG

Stay tuned to the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with sophomore Justin Robinson tomorrow. Previous players previewed include Jordan Goldwire, Alex O'Connell, Jordan Tucker, Gary Trent Jr., Wendell Carter Jr., Trevon Duval, Marvin Bagley III, Javin DeLaurier, Jack White and Marques Bolden.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Antonio Vrankovic” on social media.