Fashion watch: Taking a look at Duke's PK80 threads

Marvin Bagley III wore Duke's exclusive jerseys in his historic 34-point, 15 rebound performance Friday.

To play well, you have to look the part—or so they say. 

Although the Blue Devils have played up-and-down in their last two games, there’s no denying their new threads for the PK80 Invitational have some fashion appeal. 

For the Phil Knight Invitational—in honor of Knight, Nike's founder, turning 80—all 16 teams participating, including Duke, got exclusive new uniforms. They break with basketball tradition, which dictates that home teams wear white and road teams wear color. This week, all teams donned colors and it's made for some interesting matchups. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 11.18.35 AM.png

The Blue Devils' new uniforms are one of the more conservative adaptations used this week—it closely resembles their blue road garb, with a couple key additions. The block Iron Duke "D" is slightly larger, and the shorts also have black arrows pointing down. 

Duke's warmup attire also has a heavy dose of black—with the Iron Duke "D" on the blue warmup shirts in a shade of black, to go with black warmup pants. 

The heavy dose of black is for Knight—who tends to wear all black with sunglasses. That can be seen pretty clearly in the polos given out to coaches—including head coach Mike Krzyzewski. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 7.50.32 AM.png
Krzyzewski's squad had some major flaws exposed Friday against Texas.

Throughout the tournament, all teams are wearing black shoes with iridescent accents. 

Aside from the new outfits, Trevon Duval tried to wear a long-sleeved shirt under jersey Friday—and he didn't like the results. 

So to the fans, do you like the new attire more than Duval liked his t-shirt under his jersey? Like the all-black road alternates better? Drop your comments below. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “Fashion watch: Taking a look at Duke's PK80 threads” on social media.