Clemson men's basketball 2017-18 season preview

Clemson Tigers

2016-17 record: 17-15, 6-12 in the ACC

Head coach: Brad Brownell

Tenure at Clemson: 8th season

Career coaching record: 291-188

Home court: Littlejohn Coliseum

Starters: G Shelton Mitchell, G Gabe DeVoe, F Donte Grantham, F Elijah Thomas, F/C Mark Donnal

Bench: G Marcquise Reed, F David Skara, F Aamir Simms, G Anthony Oliver II, F Malik William

Overview: After beginning the 2016-17 season 11-2, losing only to No. 11 Xavier and Oklahoma, Clemson struggled through a 3-12 stretch. Although the Tigers were able to win their last two regular-season contests and rout N.C. State in the opening round of the ACC tournament, they ultimately fell to Duke, ending their season.

This year, Clemson opens with a relatively light nonconference slate, but will have its hands full with Florida Dec. 16. The Tigers lose their top scorer from last season, Jaron Blossomgame, and will instead rely heavily on the play of guard Gabe DeVoe and forward Donte Grantham to provide an offensive spark this season. They will look to replace some of Blossomgame's frontcourt production with transfers Mark Donnal and David Skara.

One thing that needs to go right: Skara and Elijah Thomas pull their weight for a Tigers team that may otherwise become stagnant on the offensive side after losing Blossomgame last season, and the forwards help push Clemson to .500 in ACC play.

One thing that could go wrong: The Tigers' lack of depth results in inconsistency, as their struggles snowball in the middle of the ACC gauntlet and they finish in the conference's cellar yet again.

Share and discuss “Clemson men's basketball 2017-18 season preview” on social media.