Duke in the MLB: Blue Jays' Stroman having career year

The former Duke ace has posted the fourth best ERA in the American League.

Not much has gotten to Marcus Stroman this season. 

After an up-and-down 2016, the Blue Jays’ right-hander and former Duke pitcher has flourished in his fourth big-league season, and even wanted to come back in the game after getting drilled on his throwing elbow Saturday. 

Stroman had retired five of the first six batters he faced before being hit by a 107.5 mph line drive off the bat of Orioles’ slugger Mark Trumbo. The former Blue Devil star immediately crashed to the ground, grasping his throwing arm in clear pain, as his night came to an early end—but not without a fight. 

The fiery Stroman thought he could continue pitching, but bench coach DeMarco Hale, acting in place of manager John Gibbons, saw the bruise on his arm and quickly decided to pull him. The 5-foot-8 starter is expected to return and make his next start against Detroit on Friday. 

Stroman had allowed two runs or fewer in four of his previous five starts after posting a 2.03 ERA in the month of July. The former second-team All-American is having a career year, ranking fourth in the American League with a 3.08 ERA, with an 11-6 record and two complete games. 

Toronto’s ace has done it all without much run support for an AL East cellar-dwelling team that has scored the third-fewest runs in the American League. Stroman, who boasted a 2.39 ERA for Duke in 2012, has yet to have a season­when pitching over thirty inningswith an ERA better than 3.65 in the Major Leagues, and he seems destined to change that.

The Blue Jays recently named the right-hander a nominee for the Roberto Clemente award, an award earned through character on and off the field, as well community service and individual performance. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the MLB: Blue Jays' Stroman having career year ” on social media.