2017 Georgia Tech football season preview

2016 record: 9-4, 4-4 in the ACC (5th in the Coastal Division)

Head coach: Paul Johnson (10th season)

Under Johnson, the Yellow Jackets have been on a turbulent ride in recent years, going from an 11-win 2014 Orange Bowl campaign to winning just three games in 2015 and then nine last season.

Now, they will have to break in a new quarterback and a pair of new offensive line starters after one of the best quarterbacks in school history, Justin Thomas, graduated. Certainly, Georgia Tech does not pass the ball as frequently as other teams given its triple-option offense, but Thomas amassed nearly 5,000 passing yards in three seasons as a starter.

The defense, which has been consistently solid yet unspectacular in recent years, will return eight starters and seven of its top nine tacklers from last season—although Johnson will return just one player who recorded multiple sacks. The secondary is rife with playmakers like Corey Griffin and Lance Austin, who combined for five interceptions last season.

On the road last fall, the Blue Devils nearly knocked off Johnson’s squad despite Thomas racking up 459 total yards. Duke trailed by three scores at halftime but rallied to gain a 3-point lead with less than six minutes to play, until Thomas broke free for a 50-yard run that set up an eventual game-winning touchdown. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “2017 Georgia Tech football season preview” on social media.