Sean Obi to transfer from Duke men's basketball

<p>Sean Obi will become the latest Blue Devil transfer.&nbsp;</p>

Sean Obi will become the latest Blue Devil transfer. 

The Blue Devils announced another piece of news Tuesday morning—just not the one many people were expecting.

Forward Sean Obi will transfer after earning his degree this spring, Duke announced on Twitter and in a press release. The 6-foot-9 forward transferred from Rice after averaging 11.4 points and 9.3 rebounds per game as a freshman in 2013-14 and sat out during the Blue Devils' national championship run in 2014-15.

“This was an anticipated decision and we appreciate everything Sean contributed to our program over the last three years,” Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in the release. “Unfortunately, injuries played a predominant role in his time here. He is now in a much better place physically and we wish him nothing but the best in the next step of his journey.”

As a physical rebounder, the Kaduna, Nigeria, native was expected to add to Duke's frontcourt depth the last two seasons. But he only saw limited action in 10 games in 2015-16 and did not play at all last year following knee surgery.

A graduate transfer, Obi will be eligible to play immediately next season.

“I have loved my time at Duke,” Obi said in the release. “I’ve struggled with a few injuries but I’ve grown as both a man and a player in this program. The relationships I’ve made here will last a lifetime and I will be extremely proud to call myself a Duke graduate. I’m feeling great physically now and I’m excited to take the next step in my career.”

His departure adds to a growing list for the Blue Devils, who have already lost Jayson Tatum—who declared for the NBA Draft—and Chase Jeter, who like Obi will transfer. Freshman Harry Giles, sophomore Luke Kennard and junior Grayson Allen could also declare for the NBA Draft in the coming days.

Obi will become Duke's sixth transfer since 2011. 

Share and discuss “Sean Obi to transfer from Duke men's basketball” on social media.