2017 NCAA tournament preview: SMU

SMU Mustangs: 30-4, 17-1 in the American Athletic Conference

Head coach: Tim Jankovich (1st season)

Players to watch: Semi Ojeleye (18.9 PPG, 6.8 RPG); Sterling Brown (13.3 PPG, 6.5 RPG); Ben Moore (11.6 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 56.5 FG%)

Season recap: Tim Jankovich’s first season as head coach got off to a rough 4-3 start after his team was blown out by Michigan and lost back-to-back road games against USC and Boise State. After that point, however, SMU began to resemble last year’s team that got off to a dominant 18-0 start, winning 26 of its last 27 games. The Mustangs’ lone conference defeat was a 66-64 loss at then-No. 22 Cincinnati. 

SMU's late-season success was good enough to carry it to the AAC conference tournament title and can be partly attributed to the breakout season of Duke transfer Semi Ojeleye. In his first season playing heavy minutes, Ojeleye thrived, averaging 18.9 points and 6.8 rebounds per contest. Perhaps what has been most impressive is the team’s success from beyond the arc. In addition to Ojeleye’s 42.8 percent conversion rate from deep, sophomore Shake Milton and senior Sterling Brown are also shooting better than 42 percent from 3-point range.

How they make a run: The Mustangs remain consistent from deep and avoid cold streaks. If SMU can take care of the ball, it advances to the second weekend with a chance for Ojeleye to face his former team.

How they falter: The Mustangs get pummeled on the glass and are held in check offensively en route to another short March.

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: SMU” on social media.