Home games against Baylor, Florida State headline Duke football's difficult 2017 slate

<p>The Blue Devils will face nine teams that went to bowl games in 2016 when they try to get back to the postseason in the fall.&nbsp;</p>

The Blue Devils will face nine teams that went to bowl games in 2016 when they try to get back to the postseason in the fall. 

A slow start to the 2016 season cost the Blue Devils a shot at a fifth straight bowl appearance, and Duke now knows which opponents will stand between head coach David Cutcliffe's team and the postseason in 2017.

The ACC released the 2017 schedule Tuesday, filling in the remaining gaps in the Blue Devils' schedule. Duke will take on nine teams that made bowl games last season, with three of those contests coming away from Wallace Wade Stadium. 

Coming off a 4-8 campaign, the Blue Devils will open the season Sept. 2 against FCS opponent N.C. Central before two challenging nonconference games. Duke will host Northwestern in Week 2—the Wildcats knocked off the Blue Devils in 2015 and 2016—before taking on Big 12 foe Baylor at Wallace Wade Stadium Sept. 16. 

The Bears, known for their high-octane passing game, have logged seven consecutive seven-win seasons and won at least 10 games from 2013-2015 before enduring a difficult 2016 season defined by an off-the-field sexual assault scandal

Duke's defense will get another test when the Blue Devils host Florida State Oct. 14. Led by star quarterback Deondre Francois, the Seminoles are expected to be a national title contender once again under head coach Jimbo Fisher. 

Cutcliffe's squad will look to avenge three of its deflating road losses from 2016 when it hosts Coastal Division foes Georgia Tech, Miami and Pittsburgh. The Hurricanes and Panthers blew out the Blue Devils, and the Yellow Jackets pulled out a three-point win with their triple-option offense.

Duke will take on Georgia Tech at home Nov. 18, Miami at home Sept. 29, and Pittsburgh at home Oct. 21. The contest with the Hurricanes will be a Friday night game. 

One of the surprises in the schedule is that the Blue Devils will take on Tobacco Road rival North Carolina in their ACC opener on the road Sept. 23. The contest will also be Duke's first road game of the year. Although The Blue Devils upset the Tar Heels last season, they got blown out in their last road game against North Carolina.

After suffering a close loss against defending Coastal Division champions Virginia Tech last fall, Duke will look to avenge that loss on the road Oct. 28.

Duke's full schedule is below (home games in bold):

Sept. 2 vs. N.C. Central

Sept. 9 vs. Northwestern

Sept. 16 vs. Baylor

Sept. 23 at North Carolina

Sept. 29 vs. Miami

Oct. 7 at Virginia

Oct. 14 vs. Florida State

Oct. 21 vs. Pittsburgh

Oct. 28 at Virginia Tech

Nov. 11 at Army

Nov. 18 vs. Georgia Tech

Nov. 25 at Wake Forest

Share and discuss “Home games against Baylor, Florida State headline Duke football's difficult 2017 slate” on social media.