Former Duke star Shelden Williams named 2017 ACC Basketball Legend

Graduate student Amile Jefferson could average a double-double this season in the same year the first player ever to earn that achievement in head coach Mike Krzyzewski's tenure will be named an ACC Basketball Legend.

Former All-American big man Shelden Williams will represent Duke in the 2017 class of ACC Basketball Legends, the league announced Wednesday. The two-time National Defensive Player of the Year played from 2002 to 2006 and graduated as the program's leader in rebounds and blocks, becoming the first player in NCAA history to log 1,750 points, 1,250 rebounds, 400 blocks and 150 steals.

Williams averaged a double-double as a junior and senior and set the Duke single-season record with 122 blocks in 2004-05. A native of Forest Park, Okla., Williams had his No. 23 jersey retired Jan. 28, 2007.

The three-time All-American was known for his connection with sharpshooter J.J. Redick during his time in Durham and was taken fifth overall in the 2006 NBA Draft. After six NBA seasons, Williams retired and is currently a scout for the Brooklyn Nets.

He will be honored with the other members of his class at the ACC tournament March 7-11 at the Barclays Center in New York.

Share and discuss “Former Duke star Shelden Williams named 2017 ACC Basketball Legend” on social media.