Virginia Tech men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

<p>Guard Seth Allen will lead Virginia Tech's&nbsp;backcourt and could develop into the team’s go-to scorer as the year progresses.&nbsp;</p>

Guard Seth Allen will lead Virginia Tech's backcourt and could develop into the team’s go-to scorer as the year progresses. 

Virginia Tech Hokies

Overall record: 20-15, 10-8 in the ACC

Head coach: Buzz Williams

Tenure at Virginia Tech: 3rd season

Career coaching record: 184-123

Home court: Cassell Coliseum

Starters: G Seth Allen, G Justin Bibbs, G Justin Robinson, G/F Chris Clarke, F Zach LeDay

Bench: G Devin Wilson, F Kerry Blackshear Jr., G Ty Outlaw, G Ahmed Hill 

Overview: Virginia Tech made huge strides in head coach Buzz Williams' second season at the helm, improving its ACC record from 2-16 in 2014-15 to 10-8 last year. The Hokies bookended conference play with a pair of big wins—against then-No. 4 Virginia in January and then-No. 7 Miami in March—and have the look of a team on the rise heading into this season.

Nearly the entire rotation returns for the Hokies with the exception of guard Jalen Hudson—who transferred to Florida after averaging 8.4 points per game last season. Forward Zach LeDay led Virginia Tech with 15.5 points and 7.9 rebounds per game, providing an interior presence with his 6-foot-7, 235-pound frame for a squad that otherwise lacks quality options down low. Sophomore Chris Clarke could be a difference-maker, but his health remains a question mark after he had an injury-riddled freshman season. 

The Hokies' strength lies in the backcourt, where guard Seth Allen returns along with Justin Bibbs to give Virginia Tech a pair of double-digit scorers to complement LeDay. The Hokies do not shoot the ball particularly well, but ranked second in the ACC in opposing 3-point percentage last season—leading to a lot of defensive, grind-it-out games. 

The Blue Devils easily took care of Virginia Tech last year at home with a convincing 82-58 win. But expect things to be closer this time around when the teams square off in Blacksburg on New Year's Eve for their ACC openers.

One thing that needs to go right: Clarke develops into a legitimate big man to complement the returning core, and Buzz Williams continues to guide the program forward as Virginia Tech finishes in the top half of the conference. 

One thing that could go wrong: LeDay struggles to get everything done by himself in the post, and little improvement from the guards leaves the Hokies without enough playmakers to compete night-in and night-out.

Share and discuss “Virginia Tech men's basketball 2016-17 season preview” on social media.