Pittsburgh men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

<p>All-ACC forward&nbsp;Michael Young led the Panthers with 15.7 points per game last season and hopes to lead the team&nbsp;in new head coach Kevin Stallings' first season.&nbsp;</p>

All-ACC forward Michael Young led the Panthers with 15.7 points per game last season and hopes to lead the team in new head coach Kevin Stallings' first season. 

Pittsburgh Panthers

Overall record: 21-12, 9-9 in the ACC

Head coach: Kevin Stallings

Tenure at Pittsburgh: 1st season

Career coaching record: 455-283

Home court: Petersen Events Center

Starters: G Chris Jones, G Jamel Artis, G Cameron Johnson, F Sheldon Jeter, F Michael Young

Bench: G Damon Wilson, F Corey Manigault, F Ryan Luther

Overview: In March, the Panthers suffered an unexpected blow when their 13-year head coach Jamie Dixon left the program to coach his alma-mater TCU. Pittsburgh quickly found a replacement in Kevin Stallings—then the head coach of Vanderbilt. With the Commodores, Stallings ran an up-tempo offense and he plans to do the same with the Panthers.

Pittsburgh returns a veteran squad capable of creating mismatches at several positions on the offensive end. Although the Panthers' rotation will not include anyone taller than 6-foot-9, Pittsburgh has several tall athletic guards. Senior Jamel Artis—who averaged 14.4 points per game last season—has slid over to point guard after playing as an off-ball wing. At 6-foot-7, Artis should be able to take advantage of smaller defenders and have more opportunities to score.

The Panthers will also return senior forward Michael Young, who will look to turn in another strong campaign after leading Pittsburgh with 15.7 points per game a year ago. The former All-ACC honoree can stretch the floor by drawing slower defenders out to the perimeter and knocking down shots from midrange.

The greatest concern for the Panthers is defense. With an undersized front court, Pittsburgh may struggle to defend and rebound against taller and more physical players. Considering the top teams in the ACC all have talented big men, the Panthers may find this weakness too much to overcome in conference play.

One thing that needs to go right: Pittsburgh quickly adjusts to Stallings' up-tempo offense and use their size to create mismatches across the floor en route to a finish in the top half of the ACC standings.

One thing that could go wrong: The Panthers struggle to defend opposing centers and do not get points from anybody other than Artis and Young. 

Share and discuss “Pittsburgh men's basketball 2016-17 season preview ” on social media.