Key three: Duke men's basketball vs. Michigan State

<p>Matt Jones could be called on to help defend Miles Bridges Tuesday for the Blue Devils.</p>

Matt Jones could be called on to help defend Miles Bridges Tuesday for the Blue Devils.

After handling its last two opponents with ease, No. 5 Duke will take on Michigan State Tuesday night at Cameron Indoor Stadium as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The shorthanded Blue Devils will face a hungry Spartan team that is coming off of a narrow victory against Wichita State after losing to Baylor in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in the Bahamas last week. Here are three keys to success for Duke:

STOP MILES BRIDGES

Michigan State’s success this season has been heavily dependent on its 6-foot-7 guard from Flint, Mich. Miles Bridges—the No. 8 recruit in last year's ESPN 100—is leading the Spartans in scoring with 17.4 points per game and rebounding with 8.7 boards per game. Bridges has been doing it all for the Spartans, as he is shooting 50.0 percent from the field and also leads the team in minutes per game. The Blue Devils will have their hands full trying to stop the talented freshman, but they must find a way to limit his opportunities. With Michigan State lacking a surefire second scoring option behind Bridges, Duke can focus its defense on stopping him and cannot afford to let the freshman find his rhythm.

CONTEST SHOOTERS

With Michigan State’s veteran big man Gavin Schilling sidelined due to injury, the Spartans, like the Blue Devils, have been forced to play an undersized lineup this season. This has made Michigan State reliant on perimeter shots, with more 39 percent of its points coming from 3-pointers. The Spartans have three players—including Bridges—who are shooting better than 40 percent from the 3-point line. If the Blue Devils want to be successful Tuesday, they must close out on perimeter shooters to force them off their spots and make them drive and attack the rim.

SHARE THE BALL

For much of the season, the Blue Devils have been forced to play a lineup featuring four guards alongside 6-foot-9 forward Amile Jefferson. The team has gotten comfortable with this lineup and has been efficient on offense, as it ranks eighth in the country in points scored. The small lineup with four capable outside shooters—all of whom can also penetrate the defense and find the open man—has created problems for opposing teams. For the Blue Devils to continue their success on the offensive end, their perimeter players must move the ball and create open shots for each other. With four players shooting better than 30 percent from beyond the arc, Duke can pull away from the visiting Spartans if it consistently finds open shooters and knocks down its perimeter jumpers.

Share and discuss “Key three: Duke men's basketball vs. Michigan State” on social media.