Elon men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

Elon Phoenix

Overall record: 16-16, 7-11 in the CAA

Head coach: Matt Matheny

Tenure at Elon: 8th season

Career coaching record: 108-116

Home court: Alumni Gym

Starters: G Luke Eddy, G Dmitri Thompson, F Christian Hairston, F Tyler Seibring, F Brian Dawkins

Bench: G Dainan Swoope, F Karolis Kundrotas

Overview: Elon struggled in conference play last year, losing tight games to teams like Hofstra and UNC-Wilmington all winter. It was the second straight season the Phoenix failed to finish better than .500, and they lost leading scorer Tanner Samson to graduation. In a guard-oriented offense, Elon tries to attack the basket to get free throws and easy transition buckets, but struggled from the perimeter and shot just 34.2 percent from 3-point range.

But Elon returns its four starters besides Samson and added two new freshmen In the offseason to expand its guard depth. Point guard Seth Fuller could make an impact off the bench right away and will be joined by classmate Maxwell Chester.

Last year in their matchup against Duke, the Phoenix fell to the Blue Devils 105-66 and gave up 70 points in the first half. Duke outrebounded Elon 53-30 and racked up 26 second-chance points, taking advantage of a size advantage at most positions to cruise to a win. The Phoenix have just two players taller than 6-foot-8, and neither of them averaged more than six minutes per game last year.

One thing that needs to go right: Elon's veteran guards Luke Eddy and Dmitri Thompson run the offense smoothly, and the Phoenix surprise some of the top teams in the CAA with a few big wins.

One thing that could go wrong: Forwards Tyler Seibring and Brian Dawkins are overmatched on the glass against bigger opponents, who dominate Elon inside to send it to another losing season.

Share and discuss “Elon men's basketball 2016-17 season preview” on social media.