Duke football to continue search for consistency, hosts Coastal Division leader Virginia Tech Saturday

<p>Chris Taylor and Duke's wide receivers will need to step up again without Anthony Nash, who suffered a broken clavicle against Louisville.&nbsp;</p>

Chris Taylor and Duke's wide receivers will need to step up again without Anthony Nash, who suffered a broken clavicle against Louisville. 

Eight games into the season, little has gone Duke’s way. Not only do the Blue Devils have their worst record up to this point in four years, they have also lost three of their four captains to season-ending injuries.

Duke will try to improve its fortunes and end a two-game skid Saturday against No. 23 Virginia Tech at 3:30 p.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium. The Blue Devils are coming off a loss against Georgia Tech in which they mounted a 21-point comeback before surrendering a lead in the fourth quarter. They also lost redshirt senior running back Jela Duncan to a torn Achilles tendon during a touchdown celebration.

With quarterback Thomas Sirk and safety DeVon Edwards already done for the year, redshirt senior defensive tackle A.J. Wolf is the lone remaining captain who has stayed healthy. To make matters worse, Duke is still without veteran wide receiver Anthony Nash, who broke his clavicle against Louisville Oct. 14.

“We’ve got an amazing thing when you’ve lost three of your four captains for the season. I’ve never been around anything like that,” Blue Devil head coach David Cutcliffe said. “Losses are tough and this has been an unusual year…. When you lose a few, what you look for is, ‘What’s your response?’”

Missing Duncan is nothing new for the Blue Devils (3-5, 0-4 in the ACC). When the Charlotte native sat out Duke’s meeting against Virginia Oct. 1 with a different injury, the Blue Devils relied more on junior Shaun Wilson and redshirt junior Joseph Ajeigbe.

Making up for the loss of Duke’s top rusher is just another obstacle for an offense that has been inconsistent all season. Although the Blue Devils scored 35 points against the Yellow Jackets, redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Jones and company had several more chances to score.

On four drives in the first half, the Blue Devils moved into Georgia Tech territory before giving up the ball with a turnover or failed fourth-down attempt. Then, after scoring 28 straight points in the second half to give the team a four-point lead, the offense suddenly went cold with a three-and-out on its last drive.

“We can move the ball, but it’s those key situations we need to convert,” Jones said. “We put ourselves in a few tough opportunities to be successful. We had a big penalty at the beginning. We need to cut those out. We need to make sure we’re taking care of the ball.”

Despite the offense’s mistakes, Jones showed improvement against the Yellow Jackets after struggling with turnovers early in the season. The 6-foot-5 signal-caller was named ACC Rookie of the Week, completing 22 of his 36 passes for 305 yards and two touchdowns.

But Jones will face a tougher test Saturday. Led by seasoned defensive coordinator Bud Foster, Virginia Tech—which sits atop the Coastal Division—surrenders 20.1 points per game thanks to its formidable pass rush. The Hokies (6-2, 4-1) generate pressure by disguising blitzes and having their defensive linemen stand upright before plays.

Against that pressure, Jones will have to remain poised in the pocket and deliver the ball quickly to give Duke a chance to pull the upset.

“[Their defense is] fundamentally sound,” redshirt junior center Austin Davis said. “Their scheme is really, really solid.”

Defensively, the Blue Devils have been unable to prevent explosive plays. On Saturday, the Yellow Jackets’ triple-option offense gashed Duke on the ground and through the air for 605 yards on 61 plays. Duke surrendered 13 plays of at least 15 yards and struggled to get off the field, allowing Georgia Tech to convert 50 percent of its third-down attempts.

The defense’s task will be no easier against an explosive Virginia Tech offense that appears to be peaking. Led by quarterback Jerod Evans, the Hokies—who average 36.3 points and 450.9 yards per game—keep opposing defenses off-balance with an up-tempo attack.

Evans has been reliable with his decision-making, recording 21 touchdowns against just two interceptions. Like Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson and Georgia Tech’s Justin Thomas, the Trinity Valley Community College transfer can extend plays outside of the pocket. But even if the Blue Devils keep Evans in the pocket, he has a number of weapons on the outside that will test Duke’s secondary.

At 6-foot-7, All-American tight end Bucky Hodges has been a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses throughout his career, and All-ACC wide receiver Isaiah Ford is another go-to target. Ford has a team-leading 648 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

In order to slow down the Hokies, the Blue Devils will have to generate pressure and hope they can clean up the coverage busts that have cost them all year. Duke will also likely play softer coverage in the secondary to prevent Virginia Tech’s speedy receivers from beating its defensive backs downfield.

“I had seen them earlier in the year on tape and I’ve seen them on television and certainly [been] studying this week,” Cutcliffe said on the ACC’s weekly teleconference Wednesday. “I’m extremely impressed with Virginia Tech.... They’re a very difficult team to defend.”

Share and discuss “Duke football to continue search for consistency, hosts Coastal Division leader Virginia Tech Saturday” on social media.