Clemson men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

<p>First-team All-ACC forward Jaron Blossomgame makes the Tigers dangerous any time they take the court.&nbsp;</p>

First-team All-ACC forward Jaron Blossomgame makes the Tigers dangerous any time they take the court. 

Clemson Tigers

Overall record: 17-14, 10-8 in the ACC

Head coach: Brad Brownell

Tenure at Clemson: 7th season

Career coaching record: 274-172 

Home court: Littlejohn Coliseum

Starters: G Avry Holmes, G Gabe DeVoe, F Jaron Blossomgame, F Donte Grantham, C Sidy Djitte

Bench: G Scott Spencer, G Ty Hudson, F Elijah Thomas

Overview: After struggling in the nonconference portion of their schedule and losing to North Carolina in their ACC opener, the Tigers went on a five-game winning streak and upended three consecutive ranked opponents—including then-No. 6 Duke—for the first time in program history. Although Clemson cooled off for the remainder of the season and missed the NCAA tournament, the Tigers laid the groundwork for what could be a special season.  

Clemson returns a veteran squad led by forward Jaron Blossomgame, who averaged 18.7 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. The redshirt senior was tabbed as a preseason first-team All-ACC selection and could be in contention for ACC Player of the Year honors if he can lead the Tigers back to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2011. 

But in order for Clemson to compete with the best teams in the conference, the Tigers will need someone other than Blossomgame to step up. The duo of Donte Grantham and Avry Holmes returns for Clemson after averaging 20.2 points per game combined last season. Although Texas A&M transfer Elijah Thomas will not take the floor in the first half of the season due to transfer regulations, the redshirt freshman could develop into a solid scoring option in the post once ACC play comes along. 

After being forced to play at Bon Scours Wellness Arena in Greenville, S.C., a year ago, the Tigers will have a true home court advantage this season when they play return to the newly-renovated Littlejohn Coliseum. 

One thing that needs to go right: Clemson uses its experience to battle through tough games and Blossomgame makes enough key plays to help the Tigers spring some surprising upsets. 

One thing that could go wrong: The best teams in the ACC put an extra emphasis on containing Blossomgame and Clemson is unable to get consistent performances from any of its other scoring options. 

Share and discuss “Clemson men's basketball 2016-17 season preview” on social media.