Duke in the MLB: Stroman shuts down Yankees in Blue Jays' win

Former Blue Devil Marcus Stroman turned in another stellar performance in a no-decision against the New York Yankees Saturday afternoon. 

The 5-foot-8 right-hander was dominant in seven scoreless innings, allowing just one hit and striking out five to improve his ERA to 4.34. In a crucial game for the Toronto Blue Jays' playoff implications, Stroman was locked in a pitcher’s duel against the veteran left-hander C.C. Sabathia. Both pitchers neutralized their opponents through seven innings, with the two starters combining to allow just five hits.

In a game that had the makings of a third straight wasted quality start for Stroman, the Blue Jays' offense finally erupted in the bottom of the eighth inning. With two outs and nobody on base, Josh Donaldson singled and Edwin Encarnacion walked to set the table for cleanup hitter Jose Bautista. Bautista delivered in a big way by blasting a 2-0 pitch over the left-field wall, giving his team a 3-0 lead that held up as the final score.

The victory for the Blue Jays was a much-needed one in a close American League wild-card race. After a slow start to the month of September, the Blue Jays have won six of their last eight games, three of which came in the series against the Yankees.

With five games remaining in the regular season, Toronto currently finds itself in position to make the playoffs with a two-game lead ahead of the Baltimore Orioles for the first wild-card spot and a three-game lead ahead of the Detroit Tigers. The Blue Jays finish the season with two games against the Orioles and three games against the Boston Red Sox, who they have a minuscule chance of catching for the AL East crown. Toronto finally seems to be warming up at just the right time with contributions from multiple players in crucial situations.

Share and discuss “Duke in the MLB: Stroman shuts down Yankees in Blue Jays' win” on social media.