2016 N.C. Central football season preview

<p>The Eagles are looking to win their third consecutive MEAC title in the FCS this season.</p>

The Eagles are looking to win their third consecutive MEAC title in the FCS this season.

2015 record: 8-3

Head coach: Jerry Mack (3rd season)

After sharing the MEAC title in the FCS last year, N.C. Central will look to become conference champions for the third straight year. With the return of 13 starters—seven on the offensive side of the ball—the Eagles could accomplish the feat, though they will likely be overmatched when they visit Duke.

Led by quarterback Malcolm Bell and running back Dorrel McClain, N.C. Central brings a solid rushing attack into every contest. McClain entered the starting lineup for the last seven games of the 2015 season—all wins for the Eagles—and led the team with 958 rushing yards. N.C. Central’s offense also returns fifth-year senior Quentin Atkinson after the wide receiver went down with a season-ending injury in the first contest in 2015, so expect even more improvement from an offense that averaged almost 30 points per game last season.

On the other side of the ball, a strong front seven that helped the N.C. Central record 104 tackles for loss a year ago anchors the Eagle defense. N.C. Central returns two of its best playmakers in linebacker Jeremy Miles and defensive lineman Darius Spruill.

N.C. Central will take the short journey to Wallace Wade Stadium to play against the Blue Devils Sept. 3 after losing 55-0 last season before gearing up to win a third straight conference championship for the first time in program history. 

Share and discuss “2016 N.C. Central football season preview” on social media.