Report: Jerry Colangelo wants Coach K to replace him as USA Basketball managing director after 2020 Olympics

<p>Head coach Mike Krzyzewski said last week he feels younger after two offseason surgeries and has no retirement plans.</p>

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski said last week he feels younger after two offseason surgeries and has no retirement plans.

USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo wants Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski to replace him after the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, ESPN's Andy Katz reported Tuesday afternoon.

Colangelo said on an ESPN radio show that he plans to work with Krzyzewski for the next four years after this summer's Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro—Krzyzewski's final Olympics. The 69-year old head coach is attempting to become the first head coach to win three consecutive gold medals with USA Basketball.  

An advisor to the Philadelphia 76ers and former Phoenix Suns owner, Colangelo said that he did not think Krzyzewski could replace him if he was still coaching at Duke. Krzyzewski's contract expires in 2020-21, and Steve Wiseman of The Durham Herald-Sun reported in early May that Kevin White, vice president and director of athletics, expected Krzyzewski to coach at least until the end of that contract.

Last week, Krzyzewski said he felt younger after two offseason surgeries and that he has no retirement plans. 

Krzyzewski, who took over as the head coach of the national team in 2005 and has compiled a 52-1 record, has previously said that he wants to stay involved with USA Basketball after he steps down following the Rio Olympics. 

Colangelo has also been in his current position with USA Basketball since 2005. 

Share and discuss “Report: Jerry Colangelo wants Coach K to replace him as USA Basketball managing director after 2020 Olympics” on social media.