Five former Blue Devils named to USA Basketball Select Team

Miles and Mason Plumlee reunited on the USA Basketball Select Team in 2014, and this year two members of Duke's latest national championship team are among the five Blue Devils who will train with the national team in mid-July.

Rodney Hood, Jabari Parker, Justise Winslow, Jahlil Okafor and Brandon Ingram were selected for the 25-man team Tuesday, giving Duke the most players of any school. Among the previous Blue Devil standouts to play with the Select Team are Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler in 2010 and Kyrie Irving, who is a finalist for this year's Olympic team, in 2012.

This year's team will be coached by San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, who will take over for Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski as the national team head coach starting next year.

Hood had a breakout season in his second NBA season, averaging 14.5 points per contest for the Utah Jazz in 2015-16. The Meridian, Miss., native played in the Rising Stars Challenge during All-Star Weekend in his second year after being a first-round draft pick in 2014. The Mississippi State transfer was a Blue Devil captain in the 2013-14 season, averaging 16.1 points during his only season in Durham.

One of Hood's former teammates at Duke, Parker was the No. 2 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft and averaged 14.1 points and 5.2 rebounds per game for the Milwaukee Bucks last year. The Chicago native tore his ACL in December 2014 and missed most of his rookie season, but got his explosiveness back in 2015-16. The Chicago native was a first-team All-American and National Freshman of the Year after averaging 19.1 points and 8.7 rebounds per game with the Blue Devils.

Another swingman named to the Select Team, Winslow earned second-team All-Rookie honors in 2015-16 after averaging 6.4 points and 5.2 rebounds per game and helped the Miami Heat to the Eastern Conference semifinals. The Houston native averaged 12.6 points and 6.5 rebounds in his only season at Duke, helping the Blue Devils capture their fifth national championship before becoming the 10th overall pick in the 2015 NBA Draft.

Winslow's former teammate, Okafor was the third pick in the 2015 draft before averaging 17.5 points and 7.0 rebounds per game en route to first-team All-Rookie honors. He ranked in the top five among rookies in scoring, rebounds, double-doubles and blocks for the Philadelphia 76ers. The Chicago native was a first-team All-American, National Freshman of the Year and first freshman ever to earn ACC Player of the Year honors in 2014-15 after averaging 17.3 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. 

Ingram was the only 2015-16 freshman in college basketball named to the USA Select Team. The swingman averaged 17.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per game, earned second-team All-ACC honors and was named the ACC Freshman of the Year.

The other members of the USA Select Team are Malcolm Brogdon, Devin Booker, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Willie Cauley-Stein, Kris Dunn, Aaron Gordon, Jerami Grant, Gary Harris, Brice Johnson, Stanley Johnson, Zach LaVine, C.J. McCollum, Doug McDermott, Emmanuel Mudiay, Julius Randle, D'Angelo Russell, Marcus Smart, Myles Turner, Denzel Valentine and Cody Zeller.

Share and discuss “Five former Blue Devils named to USA Basketball Select Team” on social media.