Duke forward Sean Obi undergoes knee surgery

<p>Sean Obi underwent knee surgery Wednesday in New York after appearing in 10 games last season.</p>

Sean Obi underwent knee surgery Wednesday in New York after appearing in 10 games last season.

Redshirt junior Sean Obi underwent surgery on his knee Wednesday, Cory Walton, senior associate sports information director, confirmed.

Obi tweeted a picture Thursday morning and indicated that the surgery was successful.

Walton wrote in an email that the surgery was performed by Dr. Riley Williams—the team doctor for USA Basketball and the Brooklyn Nets—at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York.

Obi appeared in just 10 games last year in his first season with the Blue Devils after transferring from Rice, scoring a total of five points. The Kaduna, Nigeria, native played a season-high six minutes with several teammates in foul trouble during Duke’s ACC tournament loss to Notre Dame, scoring two points and grabbing four rebounds.

If Obi recovers from surgery in time for the start of the season, he will provide depth to a frontcourt led by redshirt senior Amile Jefferson, freshmen Harry Giles and Marques Bolden and sophomore Chase Jeter.

Share and discuss “Duke forward Sean Obi undergoes knee surgery” on social media.