Hasta la victoria

As Latina alumnae of Duke University, we write to express our continued disappointment in Duke administration’s lack of progress towards justice and equity. In accordance with the brave nine students currently in the Allen Building, students camping in A-Ville and faculty and staff in support of peaceful protest, we are bewildered as to why Executive Vice President Tallman Trask has not resigned or asked to step down. Quite frankly, it seems that Duke University does not understand the criticality and necessity of holding a top administrator accountable for their actions. Issuing a public apology is merely a publicity stunt that fails to act as a catalyst for institutional improvement. This letter is yet another call to action for our alma mater.

The Duke University administration’s lack of action has motivated students to occupy the Allen Building as well as create A-ville this past week. Students have asked for workers to be included in the discussions, but they have been denied by the administration. In line with current students, we question this decision. Could it possibly be that the administration is afraid of conceding to workers demands, specifically to Brown and Black workers? To giving them a voice, perhaps? Would giving these workers a voice bring up further cases of maltreatment and abuse for Duke? Often as a university, Duke boasts of attracting top talent at all levels--in students, professionals, and staff. In doing so, Duke should also take on the privilege and responsibility to listen to all members of our community. If we are to truly to grow from the actions of a top administrator, then we need everyone’s voice to build said growth.

Duke continues to say that the peaceful protest on campus is “a significant disruption” on campus. We remind Duke that racism, classism, sexism and other systematic forces that Duke, as an institution, fosters are much larger disruptions on campus and student life. In reality, students have afforded an opportunity for administration to work on these issues. In fact, Duke Students & Workers in Solidarity (DSWS) has put together an extensive plan and recommendations which are more thorough than those proposed in President Broadhead’s email to students.

We want to make it clear that many alumni are aware of campus happenings and are in support of the current protest. For many, the protest is reminiscent of past demands for justice that many Duke alumni were a part of during their time as students. Unfortunately, it seems that Duke’s lack of responsibility and accountability is a track on repeat. If Duke University is truly invested in being portrayed as a progressive institution, it needs to act quickly rather than continue to criticize the ongoing protest. The fault for this protest does not fall on the students but rather on administration. Duke administration, grant the following:

1. We demand the immediate termination, without compensation, of EVP Tallman Trask III, VP Kyle Cavanaugh, and PTS Director Carl DePinto.

2. We demand that Tallman Trask issue a public apology to Ms. Underwood, all former and current PTS employees who have suffered racist abuse, and all of Duke and Durham’s community for his hateful, violent, and negligent actions.

3. We demand that Tallman Trask pay full legal and medical reparations to Ms. Underwood.

4. We demand that Duke University hire competent, outside employment counsel, approved by Duke Students and Workers in Solidarity, to conduct a full investigation into Parking and Transportation Services, the Office of Institutional Equity, and the Duke University Police Department in regards to their respective handling of Ms. Underwood’s case, as well as the unlawful discrimination complaints and reports filed by former and current PTS employees. Said counsel is to have no pre-existing relationship with Duke University, Duke University personnel, administrators, or board of trustees.

5. We demand a comprehensive and transparent review and revision of Duke’s employment standards and guidelines for sub-contracted workers, to ensure that they match the employment standards for Duke employees.

6. We demand transparency and community input in the recruitment and selection process for Duke administrators.

7. We demand that the minimum wage for Duke employees and sub-contracted workers be raised to $15/hour and for this rate to be indexed to keep up with inflation. This pay rate is closer to a living wage that strengthens their ability to meet their basic needs with dignity. Every worker deserves to be paid a fair wage and provided with the ability to make a decent living.

Signed,

Felicia Arriaga, Trinity Class of 2012

Kimberly Higuera, Trinity Class of 2014

Karina Santellano, Trinity Class of 2015

Share and discuss “Hasta la victoria” on social media.