SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke men's golf to split squad at 2 events with regular season winding down

The Blue Devils are aiming for their third straight team win

<p>Sophomore Adam Wood is Duke's scoring average leader and hopes to lead the Blue Devils to their third straight team win this week.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore Adam Wood is Duke's scoring average leader and hopes to lead the Blue Devils to their third straight team win this week. 

After struggling in their spring season opener, the Blue Devils have won back-to-back tournaments and will look to continue their momentum this week with the postseason rapidly approaching.

No. 22 Duke will return to action with five players competing in the Hootie at Bull’s Bay Intercollegiate Sunday through Tuesday at Bull’s Bay Golf Club in Awendaw, S.C., and four playing in the East Carolina Intercollegiate at Ironwood Golf and Country Club in Greenville, N.C., Monday and Tuesday. The five Blue Devils taking part in the Hootie at Bull's Bay Intercollegiate will face off against some of the nation’s top teams to prepare for postseason play, including No. 11 Auburn, No. 16 South Carolina—which won the tournament last year—No. 18 Wake Forest, No. 32 Kentucky and No. 44 Kansas.

Duke last won the event in 2013, but struggled in 2014 and 2015.

After this week's events, the Blue Devils will close out the regular season April 9-10 at the Princeton Spring Invitational before teeing it up at the ACC championship April 22 at Old North State Club in New London, N.C.

In Duke’s last event at the Seahawk Intercollegiate, junior Matt Oshrine led the Blue Devils to their second win of the season, shooting 137—seven-under-par—for the tournament. The Baltimore native tied the course record at the Country Club of Landfall in Wilmington, N.C., for 36 holes, and has finished in the top two individually in his last two starts.

Freshman Alex Smalley and sophomore Adam Wood—Duke's scoring average leader—joined Oshrine in the top 10 at the Seahawk Intercollegiate, finishing tied for third and tied for sixth, respectively, and will look to keep their momentum going this week in South Carolina. Oshrine, Wood and Smalley will be joined by junior Max Greyserman and junior Alexander Matlari at the Hootie at Bull's Bay Intercollegiate. The Blue Devils will play 18 holes each day on the par-72, 7,363-yard layout.

Sophomore Jake Shuman, junior Andrew Bieber, freshman Shrish Dwivedi and sophomore Ben Silverman will travel to Greenville to play 36 holes Monday and a final 18 Tuesday at the East Carolina Intercollegiate.

Share and discuss “Duke men's golf to split squad at 2 events with regular season winding down” on social media.