Duke in the NBA: Deng, Irving starting strong in postseason

The NBA playoffs are almost a week old, and several former Blue Devils have been major contributors for their teams a couple games into the first round.

Luol Deng, Miami Heat

The 12-year veteran and former seventh overall pick started the playoffs on fire, averaging 23.5 points per game in the first two contests of the Heat’s first round series against Charlotte. Deng exploded for 31 points on 11-of-13 shooting in just 33 minutes in Miami’s commanding 123-91 Game 1 victory.

The 6-foot-9 forward followed that offensive clinic with 16 points in another Heat win in Game 2. Deng’s offense has been revitalized in Miami’s system as he found ways to score from all over the floor, including the 3-point line. The former Blue Devil unveiled a lethal 3-point shot for the playoffs, combining to shoot 54.5 percent from deep in Games 1 and 2.

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers

Irving is stuffing the stat sheet for Cleveland in its bid to repeat as Eastern Conference champions and return to the NBA Finals. As the Cavaliers have opened a 2-0 lead on Detroit in the first round, Irving has averaged 36 minutes per game, erasing any doubts about his postseason fitness after an injury-plagued year. The elusive point guard has averaged 26.5 points per game for the Eastern Conference’s top seed—leading all scorers with 31 points in a close Game 1 victory.

Irving has pitched in six rebounds and four steals during the last two games and owns an impressive 5-to-1 postseason assist-to-turnover ratio. The West Orange, N.J., native has also flashed an improved long-range shot, going 9-of-17 for the series, including an efficient 4-of-7 performance from beyond the arc in game 2.

Mason Plumlee, Portland Trail Blazers

The 7-foot center from Warsaw, Ind., started his third straight postseason with a whimper but came out in Game 2 with a bang. Plumlee finished Game 1 with a meager four points on 1-of-6 shooting from the field before turning everything around for his next matchup against the Clippers. The third-year big man and former national champion flirted with a triple-double thanks to his 17 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists, and he added a block and two steals in a losing effort. Plumlee’s assist totals illustrate a new level of confidence for a young player who has finally found his role for the Trail Blazers, finding open guards on the perimeter and cutting to the basket when his defender leaves him unchecked.

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers

The Blue Devils' all-time leading scorer has been nothing if not consistent for the Clippers as they opened a 2-0 lead on Portland. With 18 minutes in Game 1 and 21 in Game 2, Redick totaled 17 points in each game and combined to shoot 55.6 percent from the field. Uncharacteristically, the Roanoke, Va., native has only shot 36.3 percent from long range in the postseason, doing most of his damage around the basket. Redick helped Los Angeles grab an early lead in Game 2, with 11 of his points coming in the first seven minutes of the contest.

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat

The only member of last year's one-and-done trio out of Duke to reach the postseason, Winslow has come off the bench for a Miami team that has a commanding 2-0 lead on the Hornets. The Houston native has 8.5 points per game to accompany 4.0 rebounds per game and 1.0 steals per game, as his greatest impact has come on the defensive end. Winslow’s man-to-man skills have shut down Charlotte’s backcourt, and his ability to switch onto opposing forwards like Marvin Williams or even Charlotte center Al Jefferson has given Miami defensive flexibility, opening up transition opportunities for one of the Eastern Conference’s most efficient offenses.

Winslow also made the highlight reel with his offense, showing off a slick Euro step to get to the rim for a layup after freezing Hornets rookie Frank Kaminsky—who faced off against Winslow's Blue Devils in last year's national championship for Wisconsin.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Deng, Irving starting strong in postseason” on social media.