Duke football closes out spring camp with scrimmage Saturday

The Blue Devil defense forced three turnovers during the 70-play scrimmage

<p>Redshirt freshman quarterback&nbsp;Daniel Jones connected with wide receiver Chris Taylor from eight yards out for a touchdown during&nbsp;Saturday's scrimmage.</p>

Redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Jones connected with wide receiver Chris Taylor from eight yards out for a touchdown during Saturday's scrimmage.

Duke's Spring Showcase was closed to the public, but the Blue Devils' youth still put plenty on display Saturday morning.

Duke concluded its slate of spring practices with a two-hour practice session and scrimmage at Wallace Wade Stadium, one final opportunity for head coach David Cutcliffe and his coaching staff to gauge the Blue Devils’ strengths and weaknesses before summer practices begin in August. In addition to a conventional 70-snap scrimmage, the showcase included several different drills, such as one-on-ones and seven-on-sevens between wide receivers and defensive backs.

Redshirt junior quarterback Parker Boehme completed seven of his 10 passes for 66 yards and redshirt freshmen signal-callers Quentin Harris and Daniel Jones each tossed touchdown passes to lead the offense, but the defense forced three turnovers, including a 36-yard interception return for a touchdown by linebacker Joe Giles-Harris.

“We’re going to see [on film] a lot of things we like. We’re going to see a lot of things we need to work on,” Cutcliffe said. “One of the things that showed today was that we have a lot of people that can run and a lot of skill on this team.”

During the scrimmage, Duke’s first, second and third-teams on offense and defense practiced plays designed for specific circumstances, including third-and-short, third-and-long and red zone scenarios.

The first score of the day came when Harris connected with redshirt senior running back Zach Boden on an eight-yard touchdown pass, one of Boden's two scores on the day. The Harvard transfer—who Cutcliffe said Thursday would be on scholarship for the coming season after seeing limited action as a walk-on a year ago—also added a five-yard scamper on the ground. Duke’s other touchdown occurred on another eight-yard completion, this one from Jones to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Chris Taylor.

Harris and Jones split time under center with Boehme, who has taken the majority of snaps with the first team offense with Thomas Sirk—who started 12 of the Blue Devils' 13 games under center in 2015—recovering from a torn Achilles tendon he suffered in February.

With the opportunity to get first-team reps in practice, Boehme said he has improved at reading defensive coverages and deciding when to check out of play-calls.

“I’m taking it one step at a time. I’m trying to learn from my mistakes, just growing with the guys,” Boehme said. “I was really looking forward to competing with Thomas, but I’m really pleased with Daniel and Quentin. They’ve been really competing, trying to take my spot obviously.”

Running back Jela Duncan led Duke’s rushing attack with 26 yards on six carries, and junior tailback Shaun Wilson also displayed his speed and shiftiness throughout the day.

“[Wilson’s spring] has been really good. He and Jela didn’t get a bunch of snaps today,” Cutcliffe said. “I think Shaun has had the best run of practices since he’s been here.”

Defensively, the Blue Devils generated pressure on the trio of Duke quarterbacks, helping force the three turnovers. Giles-Harris took an errant Harris pass back to the house for a defensive score, and defensive end Danny Doyle and cornerback DeVon Edwards each recovered fumbles.

Redshirt freshman defensive end Twazanga Mugala recorded two tackles for loss—one of which was a sack—and safety Corbin McCarthy added another sack.

Cutcliffe said the defensive line has improved, and was especially impressed with the play of his redshirt freshmen. Safeties Jordan Hayes and Brandon Feamster—who is 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds—have shown their play-making potential and athleticism throughout the spring, but still have room for growth, Cutcliffe noted.

“Our redshirt freshmen and true freshmen will make up 41 percent of our scholarships,” Cutcliffe said. “That’s a unique number for us, but I think that’s a good thing for us.”

Redshirt junior Austin Davis and redshirt freshman wide receiver Keyston Fuller shared most improved offensive player honors, and linebacker Tinashe Bere and safety Jordan Hayes were Cutcliffe’s most improved defensive players. The Blue Devil Heart Award for best team member on and off the field went to senior center Jake Brodner.

The Blue Devils will be off for the next three months before they continue preparing for their 2016 campaign in August. Duke opens the season at home against N.C. Central Sept. 3.

Share and discuss “Duke football closes out spring camp with scrimmage Saturday” on social media.