A different kind of learning

life after abroad

As we turn the corner to the final push of the semester, the stress creeps up on us. The end of semester grind is filled with non-stop work and assignments. It seems like all I do is write paper after paper, study for exams and prepare for presentations, all while trying to squeeze in as much self-care and sleep as possible. And I know I am not alone. I keep reminding myself that surely all of this is helping me synthesize and apply the lessons, theory and concepts learned in my classes this semester. Yet, I am moving so quickly, working to get it all done, that I rarely give myself the space and the time to think about what I am taking from these classes. What is the stuff I will actually remember? What did we learn that peaked my interest? Some of the material I will build upon next semester in my classes and some I might never use again. Regardless, the applicability of the lessons from the classroom and their value to my life is clouded by stress and a drive to “just get it done.”

Writing this column every other week this semester has given me that space and that time to think about my semester in Brazil in a way that I have never thought about a semester in college before. Reflecting on those four months in Salvador has made me recognize how I can apply what I learned to my day-to-day life and how it has enhanced my understanding of culture, politics and social issues. The observations I made, relationships I forged and experiences I went through have all influenced my worldview.

Of course, that is not to say that what we learn in our classes is not pertinent or that it won’t serve a purpose in our lives. Regardless of what we choose to study and then pursue after college, the content, theories,concepts, methods we are taught will help us in different facets of our life, whether professional or personal. College classes help us with not only understanding the what but also asking the how. We learn to interpret, analyze and make sense of data and scholarship. Our professors and peers inspire us and guide us in our endeavors. In my opinion, these are all incredibly important components of our four years at Duke. But what if we are missing out by undervaluing other potential aspects of our college experiences?

What I propose is two fold: that perhaps some of the most important learning and self-development in college occurs outside the classroom and requires us to reflect in meaningful ways.

Time learning outside of the classroom is never time lost. I think there can be a perception that studying abroad or participating in experiences outside of the traditional academic setting is not learning. This is far from true. No matter what you choose to study, immersing yourself in an environment different from your own and learning how to adapt and thrive is some of the most valuable learning that happens. The additional challenges of having to learn a new language, living with a family you do not know and navigating a completely new cultural setting equip you with the skills to overcome challenges and discomfort we will all inevitably face in our lives.

Secondly, reflection is just as important as the learning. I find that when I don’t take the time to reflect on what I have learned or the experiences I have had, much of what I have gained is lost. If I hadn’t spent this semester thinking back and connecting many of the experiences I had abroad to my life at Duke, to what I am studying and to social issues around me, my experience wouldn’t have been as rich of a learning experience as it was. From observing and interpreting cultural variations in feminine body ideals to participating in social movements that take an intersectional approach to fight racial and gender inequalities, I had the opportunity to apply theory to real life. I saw the effects of racism and discrimination first had and made cross-cultural comparisons. I understood the importance of rituals, traditions, and food in families. But I did not realize how much I had learned until moments afterwards cause me to think back to them. Never underestimate the power of reflection. Through reflection and conversations with my peers at Duke, I have seen how they have shaped the way I approach the personal and academic areas of my life.

Stepping out of my environment to learn about another culture made me more aware and informed about my own culture. I cherish my semester in Salvador more today than I did December 14 when I returned home because I am more aware of the impact that it has had on the way in which I view the world.

This might be the end of my column, but it will not be the last time I think about and continue to learn from my time abroad. In fact, what I have learned outside the classroom during my time at Duke will probably be some of the most important lessons I will learn to prepare me for life after college.

Sofia Stafford is a Trinity junior. This is her final column of the semester.

Share and discuss “A different kind of learning” on social media.