2016 NCAA tournament preview: Virginia Cavaliers

Virginia Cavaliers

Record: 26-7 (13-5 ACC)

Head Coach: Tony Bennett (7th season)

Season Recap: With redshirt seniors Malcolm Brogdon—the ACC Player of the Year who averages 18.7 points per game—and Anthony Gill leading the way, the Cavaliers put together another dominant season. After losing its second game of the regular season at George Washington, Virginia recorded nonconference wins against top-4 seeds West Virginia, Villanova and California. 

Then, following a 2-3 start in conference play, behind Brogdon, Gill and point guard London Perrantes, the Cavaliers notched wins against Louisville (twice), Miami (twice), Notre Dame and North Carolina. Only one of two teams in the nation ranked in the top 10 in basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy's offensive and defensive efficiency metrics, Virginia used its pack-line defense to finish second in the ACC in the regular season and conference tournament. 

How they make a run: Brogdon and Perrantes—who shoot better than 40 percent from 3-point range—are able to make enough outside shots to open things up for Gill inside, and the Cavaliers' balance catapults them to the Final Four. 

How they falter: Gill is unable to stay out of foul trouble and Virginia's perimeter shots will not fall yet again, leading to another disappointing exit to the NCAA tournament for Bennett's squad. 

Share and discuss “2016 NCAA tournament preview: Virginia Cavaliers” on social media.