Duke in the NBA: Parker and Okafor continue strong seasons

With the NBA’s annual trade deadline passing, a group of former Blue Devils are gearing up for the season’s final stretch as the calendar flips to March.

Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks

As Parker slowly returns to full health from his ACL tear a year ago, the forward is showing signs of adjusting to play in the professionals. In four games since the All-Star break, Parker is averaging 22 points per game while shooting near 50 percent from the field. The former Blue Devils best performance of the week came Saturday, when he recorded 28 points and 13 rebounds in the Bucks double-overtime victory against the Atlanta Hawks. Parker punctuated his impressive play with a highlight-reel dunk over big man Al Horford. 

With his team in the midst of a lost year, the second-year professional can continue to use his playing time to make his mark on the next level.  

Jahlil Okafor, Philadelphia 76ers

Even as the 76ers sputter amidst a 8-49 record, Okafor continues to impress on offense. The rookie scored a career-high 31 points on 12-of-19 shooting from the field against the Mavericks Sunday. In addition to his array of post moves, the center showed his ability to score outside the paint. 

Although Okafor has performed well throughout his rookie season, his play has picked up in February as he has averaged 17.3 points on 54 percent shooting from the floor. The rookie will look to continue his strong season as the 76ers continue to sit at the bottom of the NBA. 

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat 

As the season has progressed, the rookie has continued to develop his offensive repertoire in addition to his strength on defense. Winslow averaged 14 points per game in the Heat's first three games after the All-Star break and has shown the ability to score near the hoop. 

But make no mistake, the former Blue Devils' strength lies on defense. Winslow ignited a fast break for the Heat when he sent home a layup by Warriors forward Draymond Green.  

With the expected addition of Joe Johnson, Winslow's minutes may take a hit as the end of the year approaches. But with his ability to defend all five positions, expect the forward to still see big minutes near the end of games.

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz

Hood has returned from the break without missing a beat, proving his hot streak in January and February was no fluke. With an increasingly pivotal role in Utah’s offense, the second year player is adapting to the return of the Jazz big men as they surprisingly fight for a playoff spot. The forward had another solid week as he recorded 18 points in consecutive games against Portland and Houston. 

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers

Redick continued his strong season from the floor as his team sported a 1-2 record in three games this week. The guard flashed shades of his sharpshooting days as a Blue Devil Wednesday when he hit six 3-pointers against the Nuggets. 

The 10th-year professional is having his best season in the NBA with career-high averages in scoring and field goal shooting. With star Blake Griffin still out for the Clippers, Redick will have to help continue the short-handed team as they hope to compete with the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Parker and Okafor continue strong seasons ” on social media.