Irving performing well under new coach; Redick to participate in Three-Point Shootout

With the All-Star game just a week away, the Blue Zone takes a look at how some former Blue Devils are doing in the association: 

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers

The implementation of new head coach Tyron Lue’s offense has been a welcome change of pace for the Cleveland Cavaliers’ starting point guard. In the past four games, Irving has averaged 25 points per contest, shot above 50 percent from the field and contributed to three Cleveland victories. In addition to stellar shooting, the three-time NBA All-Star has recorded 20 assists in the same four-game span and showcased his ability to be a solid floor general.

In the next week, the Cavaliers’ four opponents have a combined record of 78-121, which should provide Irving with the opportunity to further showcase his skills—and maybe even get a little rest—heading into the All-Star break.

Jahlil Okafor, Philadelphia 76ers

Okafor returned to the court after taking two games off due to illness for a game against the Golden State Warriors. The 6-foot-11 big man was incredibly efficient against the Warriors, going 6-7 from the field. But Okafor faltered at the free throw line—where he has actually shot well from this year—as his 1-of-5 mark from the charity stripe could have been the difference in a game the 76ers lost by three. In the next game, Okafor recorded 10 points and five rebounds in a 38-point loss to the Atlanta Hawks.

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers

Redick has recorded 10.7 points per game for the Clippers during the last three games, which includes a crucial 21-point effort against the Chicago Bulls. But against the Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers, the former Duke star shot very poorly from the field, going just 3-of-19 combined. 

For the Clippers to maintain their playoff seed without superstar Blake Griffin, Redick will need to shoot more efficiently from the field in the coming weeks. The guard will get a chance to display his shooting stroke on the biggest of stages as he is slated to participate in the Foot Locker Three-Point Contest. 

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz

In his team's past three games—all victories—Hood has averaged 13 points and proven to be a critical piece for the 23-25 Jazz, who are currently holding the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Hood has proven that he is capable of performing as a starter, and if he continues on this path, the Jazz will continue to stay in the hunt for the postseason. 

Heading into the All-Star break, Hood needs to have a strong four-game stretch to help his team build some separation before the stretch run begins. 

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat

Winslow has played solidly in the Heat’s past four contests, averaging 7.8 PPG on 10-of-17 shooting. In that span, the Heat have won three games—two of which were against opponents with winning records. The forward continues to prove that he deserves his place in the league, and the fruits of his labor are yielding dividends for the Heat. The rookie has improved most in his ability to make cuts to the hoop at the correct time and score right at the basket as opposed to staying parked at the arc. 

In the lead up to the All-Star break, the Heat have a tough schedule, featuring matchups with both the Clippers and the Spurs. Miami will need Winslow at its best if it wishes to enter its midseason break on a high note.

Jacob Weiss

Jacob Weiss is a Trinity senior. His column, "not jumping to any conclusions," runs on alternate Fridays.

Share and discuss “Irving performing well under new coach; Redick to participate in Three-Point Shootout ” on social media.