Duke in the NBA: Irving gets a new coach; Winslow ties career-high

With the All-Star Break inching closer, the Blue Zone takes a look at how former Blue Devils are performing in the association: 

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers

Still under a cautious minutes restriction after returning from a knee injury, Irving’s per game statistics 15.4 points per game are not the most impressive. But the point guard will have a chance to change that under new head Tyron Lue—who plans to implement a more fast-pace style to the team's offense. In three games with his new coach, the results have been pedestrian as Irving is averaging just 12 points per game and has not shot better than 40 percent in any of the contests. 

With the luxury of playing for the Eastern Conference-leading Cavs, Irving's minutes will continue to be monitored as he gears up for the postseason. 

Jahlil Okafor, Philadelphia 76ers

After a troubling beginning to the season off the court, Okafor has rediscovered the sound fundamentals that helped him lead Duke to the 2015 NCAA Championship. The rookie center is leading the 76ers in points per game, ranks second on the team in rebounds per game and is shooting 49 percent from the field. As the season has progressed, Okafor has calmed fears about his maturity and adjusted to the physicality of defenders at the next level. 

The former Blue Devil missed a pair of games this week due to an illness. 

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers

As the Clippers adjust to playing an extended stretch of games without superstar Blake Griffin, Redick will need to stay hot and produce to ensure that his team remains competitive and holds on to a high playoff seed. The sharpshooter is nearing a place in the illustrious 50-50-90 club—something only done by former Bull Steve Kerr—with his averages from the field, beyond the arc and the free-throw line. 

In three games this week, the former Blue Devil showed some signs of slowing down and shot only 42 percent from the floor en route to a 2-1 record. With teams paying more attention to the guard, Redick will need to channel his experiences as the once go-to scorer for the Blue Devils and work to get good shots. 

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz

Once poised for a major collective leap, the Jazz have battled a plague of injuries this season. But since Alec Burks injured his ankle in late December, Hood’s usage rate has increased. The former Blue Devil averaged 23.5 points per game on 50 percent shooting in his two games this week. In January, Hood is averaging 18.4 points per game—a 7.1 point increase from his December mark—and has showcased his versatility on the floor. The Jazz will certainly look for more solid play from Hood as starting forward Gordon Hayward is set to be a free agent in the coming seasons. 

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat

After his team dropped seven of eight games, the rookie has made a difference in turning the tide for the Heat. In his last two games, Winslow is averaging 10.5 points and eight rebounds per game. The forward had one of the best performances of his young career Tuesday when he tied a career-high with 13 points on 6-of-7 shooting. Among two of Winslow's points was the strangest basket of the season: 

If Winslow can steadily improve his perimeter jumper, expect the former Blue Devil to get big minutes down the stretch run of the season. 

Lance Thomas, New York Knicks

Thomas—a member of the 2010 national championship team—has thrived this season in the Big Apple. The former Blue Devil is averaging a career-high 8.9 points per game along with 2.2 rebounds. Not always a recognizable name, Thomas has transformed into a crucial role player for a Knicks team that could snatch the No. 8 seed in the Eastern Conference. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Irving gets a new coach; Winslow ties career-high” on social media.