Around the ACC: Week 13

The ACC Championship is just around the corner next weekend in Charlotte, N.C., and the conference had a strong showing in the final week of the regular season. With nine games on the schedule, every ranked team came away with a win, and just one team—Georgia Tech—dropped a contest to an non-conference opponent this week.

Duke 27, Wake Forest 21

After dropping four consecutive games in conference play, the Blue Devils were finally able to right the ship on the road against the Demon Deacons. With a win, Duke guaranteed itself a winning season for the third straight campaign, but it was not always a sure victory. Despite holding a 24-7 lead heading into the fourth quarter, the Blue Devils surrendered two touchdowns in the waning minutes of the game that kept Wake Forest in the game. But the Demon Deacons failed to recover an onside kick with 1:46 remaining, sealing the victory for Duke. Quarterback Thomas Sirk finished with 275 yards and two touchdowns—both to senior Max McCaffrey—in his first multiple-touchdown passing performance since the Blue Devils’ four overtime victory against Virginia Tech.

No. 1 Clemson 37, South Carolina 32

It was not the prettiest game of the weekend, but the Tigers remained perfect against their in-state rival in the final week of the regular season. A one-yard touchdown run by Shon Carson and subsequent two-point conversion early in the fourth quarter brought the Gamecocks within three, but Heisman-hopeful Deshaun Watson took control to seal the win for Clemson. The quarterback punched in a three-yard touchdown run with eight minutes remaining—his third of the day to go along with his 114 yards on the ground—to put the game beyond South Carolina’s reach. The Gamecocks are done for the season following a horrendous 3-9 campaign. Meanwhile, the Tigers will travel to Charlotte next weekend to face off against North Carolina in the ACC Championship, hoping to notch a victory and a spot in the college football playoff.

No. 8 North Carolina 45, N.C. State 34

Despite dropping its season opener against the same South Carolina team that will not be bowling this season, North Carolina captured its 11th consecutive win Saturday on the road against N.C. State. The Tar Heels registered 35 points in the first quarter—more than enough to quiet the Wolfpack—and hit cruise control for the rest of the contest. Although quarterback Marquise Williams did not have a stellar day in the box score, running back Elijah Hood tallied 220 yards on the ground and two touchdowns to lead North Carolina. With the ACC Championship game a week away against Clemson, the Tar Heels will attempt to earn a statement win with a slim chance of making the playoff. 

No. 10 Florida State 27, No. 18 Florida 32

Florida State may regret dropping a last-second game against Georgia Tech earlier in the year after dismantling the SEC East champion Gators. A fourth quarter safety put Florida on the scoreboard, but the Seminoles dominated the contest from start to finish. Running back Dalvin Cook pounded the Gator defense for more than 7.0 yards per carry en route to 183 rushing yards and two touchdowns, and the stout Florida State defense held Florida to 262 total yards on the other side of the ball. Although the Seminoles will not represent the ACC in the playoff, their strong performance Saturday sets them up nicely for a place in a New Year’s Six bowl.

Miami 29, Pittsburgh 24

With nothing to play for aside from bowl seeding after North Carolina clinched the Coastal division last week, Miami and Pittsburgh clashed the day after Thanksgiving in the first conference game of the week. The Hurricanes jumped out to a quick 17-0 lead in the first quarter, and the Panthers were unable to come back despite outscoring their opponent 21-6 in the second-half. Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya was solid in the regular season finale with 261 yards and a touchdown on 21-for-35 passing, and Pittsburgh wide receiver Tyler Boyd showed his versatility once again with 47 yards rushing in addition to his 70 yards receiving. Despite the loss, the Panthers finish the season second in the Coastal race with six conference wins and the Hurricanes roll in third at 5-3. Both teams now await to see where they will travel for their postseason showdowns.

Georgia 13, Georgia Tech 7

The Yellow Jackets may have been a preseason favorite to win the conference and represent the ACC in the playoff, but a dismal 3-9 season came to a close Saturday with a sloppy loss to in-state rival Georgia. Although the Bulldogs did not run away with the contest, three Georgia Tech turnovers made the 13-0 deficit insurmountable. Quarterback Justin Thomas was forced to pass the ball to attempt a comeback, but a 6-for-18 showing and two interceptions was not enough to secure a victory. Unfortunately for Bulldog head coach Mark Richt, a win was not enough to save his job either. Despite finishing 9-3, with losses to Alabama, Tennessee and Florida, Richt was fired Sunday after his 15th season at the helm in Athens, GA.

Louisville 38, Kentucky 24

Kentucky jumped out to a 21-0 start at home, but 31 unanswered points from Louisville allowed the Cardinals to mount a comeback and secure a winning season. Freshman quarterback Lamar Jackson suffered through the air with just 130 yards and an interception, but he made it up with his legs. The freshman rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns in the comeback. The Wildcats also did not do themselves any favors in the loss. Kentucky was penalized nine times for 95 yards, and only registered 291 total yards in comparison to Louisville’s 489.

Virginia Tech 23, Virginia 20

The Hokies entered Saturday one win away from bowl eligibility, potentially making the game head coach Frank Beamer’s last one at the helm. But a tight three-point victory gave the head coach his 12th consecutive victory against Virginia and 23rd straight bowl bid—the longest active streak in the nation. The Cavaliers outgained Virginia Tech 433-304 in total yardage, but two costly turnovers and a missed field goal proved too much. After the loss, Virginia head coach Mike London resigned Sunday. In six seasons in Charlottesville, London was 27-46 and could not get his team to a bowl game this season with a 4-8 outing.

Syracuse 20, Boston College 17

In perhaps the most entertaining game of the weekend in conference, Syracuse secured a victory against the Eagles with a last-second 35-yard field goal by Cole Murphy. Although neither team will go bowling this season and Orange head coach Scott Shafer became another victim of the coaching carousel earlier in the week, the contest proved an interesting affair. Neither team broke 250 total yards—including just nine through the air for Boston College—showing the defensive strengths of both sides. Syracuse only converted 4-of-14 third downs and the Eagles only converted 1-of-12, but in the end, there had to be a winner, and the Orange scored just enough to be that team.

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 13 ” on social media.