Key Three: Duke basketball vs Yale

Fresh off wining the 2K Classic championship, Duke heads back home to Cameron Indoor Stadium for a five-game home stand. First up for the Blue Devils will be a matchup against Yale Wednesday at 7 p.m. Here are three keys to a victory against the Bulldogs:

Crash the boards: Four games into the season, Duke only has one player rebounding in double-digits—senior Amile Jefferson. The Philadelphia native is averaging 10.6 boards per contest and his 5.8 offensive rebounds per game is the sixth-best mark in the country. An advantage in the rebound category against Georgetown was key for the Blue Devils in their narrow 84-82 win Sunday, and it will only grow more important moving forward. Duke will look for additional rebounding help from center Marshall Plumlee, who is currently averaging 7.2 boards per game after showing considerable improvement during the off season.

Take care of the ball: Turnovers were an issue for the Blue Devils in their loss to Kentucky at the Champions Classic a week ago. Duke coughed up the ball 16 times—committing seven more giveaways than the Wildcats—in the eventual 74-63 defeat. But the Blue Devils have reduced turnovers in each game since then—a trend that has coincided with coach Mike Krzyzewski shifting freshman point guard Derryck Thornton into the starting lineup. The Chatsworth, Calif., native's ball-handling will be key for Duke moving forward and the team will look to Thornton to continue the trend of reducing turnovers against Yale, a team that averages 13.3 giveaways a game themselves.

Grayson Allen plays like Grayson Allen: After scoring 32 points against the Hoyas, Allen added MVP honors to his long list of accolades. But between his standout performance in the 2014 national championship game and his MVP-winning performance at the 2K Classic, Allen has hit a rough patch against teams with lengthy guards on the perimeter. The Jacksonville, Fla., native was held to just 2-of-11 shooting from the floor against Kentucky, finishing with one assist and four turnovers. In the games following, Allen has rebounded and put forth the two highest-scoring performances of his career, but that leaves one major question—what happened against the Wildcats? Time will tell whether the subpar performance was just a blip on the radar or a sign of underlying problems, but Wednesday provides Allen with another opportunity to showcase his ability to consistently play at an All-American level.

Share and discuss “Key Three: Duke basketball vs Yale” on social media.