Thoughts on the AP Poll: Week 10

With multiple games with playoff implications and a handful of stunning upsets, Saturday was truly a "Separation Saturday" in the college football world.

North Carolina dominates Duke, advances in the polls

The No. 21 Tar Heels jumped out to a 21-3 lead and never looked back in a 66-31 romp of the Blue Devils. North Carolina quarterback Marquise Williams threw for 404 of his school-record 494 yards by halftime and led the Tar Heels to a huge victory. The Duke secondary, which was thought to be a strength of the defense, could not find an answer for Williams and the North Carolina offense all game. With the win, North Carolina moved up to No. 17 and is in the driver’s seat for the ACC Coastal Division.

Clemson Clinches ACC Atlantic Division, now No. 1

No. 3 Clemson defeated No.17 Florida State 23-13 at Memorial Stadium Saturday afternoon. Quarterback Deshaun Watson threw for 297 yards and a touchdown in the win, while Seminoles quarterback Sean Maguire struggled all evening and threw for 164 and an interception. With the score all tied up 13-13, Clemson rose to the challenge and scored 10 straight points to put the game away and keep control of their own playoff destiny. With the win, Clemson supplanted Ohio State as the No. 1 team in this week's poll and clinched a spot in the ACC title game. The Seminoles—who were the defending back-to-back conference champions—fell to No. 19.

Big day in the SEC

No. 7 Alabama defeated No. 4 LSU 30-16 in a physical matchup between a pair of SEC powerhouses, giving the Crimson Tide control of their own destiny in the SEC West. Running back Derrick Henry ran for 210 yards on 38 carries with three touchdowns, while current Heisman front-runner Leonard Fournette was stifled all evening and could only manage 31 yards on 19 carries with a touchdown. Although Alabama only lead 13-10 at the half, the Crimson Tide came up with more plays in the second half and scored 20 unanswered points and got the win. With the win, Alabama moved to No. 3 in the rankings; the Tigers fell to No. 9.

No. 19 Ole Miss was upset 53-52 by Arkansas in an overtime thriller Saturday. With 53 seconds left in regulation, wide receiver Dominique Reed caught a pass from quarterback Brandon Allen to tie the game at 45-45 and force an overtime period. After the Rebels scored on their initial overtime possession, the Razorbacks had a wild overtime period. On fourth-and-25, Allen completed a pass to Hunter Henry, who lateraled the ball backwards as he was going down. In nearly improbable fashion, Alex Collins picked it up off the bounce and ran it for a 31-yard gain and a first down. Arkansas would score on the very next play and instead of trying to tie the game, the Razorbacks went for the win. Quarterback Brandon Allen jumped over the goal line for the game winning two-point conversion. With the loss, Ole Miss dropped out of the rankings.

Battle of Undefeated teams in the Big 12

Undefeated No. 5 TCU and No. 12 Oklahoma State battled it out Saturday, with Oklahoma State coming away with a dominating 49-29 victory. The win skyrocketed the Cowboys to No. 5, while the Horned Frogs fell to No. 13. Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph led the way, throwing for 352 yards and five touchdowns, while Heisman hopeful Trevone Boykin struggled taking care of the ball and threw four interceptions along with his 445 yards.

Memphis, Michigan State fall from the rank of unbeatens

The first Saturday of November did not prove to be kind to the Tigers and Spartans, who both dropped their first game of the season. In a battle for American Athletic Conference supremacy, Navy used its option attack to run past Memphis 45-20. The Midshipmen were in complete control all evening and are now tied atop the West Division of the conference with undefeated Houston. Memphis fell to No. 25.

Michigan State appeared to be in cruise control Saturday night, leading 38-26 with just two minutes to go against Nebraska. But the Spartans defense could not get the stops it needed and a controversial call on the game-winning touchdown pass went in Nebraska's favor, as the Cornhuskers came away with a 39-38 victory. With the loss, Michigan State fell to No. 14 in this week's poll. 

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP Poll: Week 10 ” on social media.