Duke basketball 2015-16 player preview: Derryck Thornton

Derryck Thornton

• Year: Freshman
  • Height: 6-foot-2
  • Position: Guard

Game Breakdown: Unlike his fellow freshman, Derryck Thornton was actually a prospect in the Class of 2016 as late as March. But after Tyus Jones declared for the NBA Draft and the Blue Devils increased their efforts to find a future point guard, Thornton decided to reclassify into the Class of 2015 and commit to Duke. Thornton averaged 17 points, six assists, and three rebounds per game in his final year of high school and showed why he is a jack-of-all-trades type of player on the court. 

Thornton can score, make the pass when needed, and take you off the dribble with his speed if you play tight on him. But arguably the biggest key for the freshman in his first season as a Blue Devil is whether he will be able to consistently hit the perimeter shot as Jones did a year ago. Thornton will also be tasked with playing solid defense on a team that now longer has a lockdown defender like Justise Winslow. After being away from the team throughout the summer as he worked to fulfill graduation requirements, Thornton will have to quickly acclimate himself with his teammates to excel as a guard. 

Role on the team: Derryck Thornton is in a unique situation as the only natural point guard on Duke's roster this season. Although the 18-year old cannot be expected to carry the same load that Jones did en route to the championship, Thornton an has a lot of potential. The athletic guard may start the season on the bench as he learns the ins and outs of playing at the next level. But around Feburary and March, expect Thornton to be running the show on offense. Thornton can slash to the basket and create his own shot  with this size and quickness or he can find players with his above average vision to get them easy looks near the hoop or from deep. A key for Thornton will be to stay level-headed even when he is having a tough night and continue to operate the team's offense smoothly. 

NBA comparison: The talented guard is very quick and athletic, and is a do-it-all type of point guard. Although he is not a reliable scoring option at his young age, Thornton is reminiscent of guard Kyle Lowry. Both are similar in their ability to put up points near the hoop, while continuing to showcase their skills from deep and pestering opponents on the defensive end. 

Projected Stats: 11.0 PPG, 4.5 APG, 2.0 RPG

Stay tuned with the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with freshman Brandon Ingram tomorrow. Previous players previewed include Justin RobinsonAntonio VrankovicLuke Kennard and Chase Jeter

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2015-16 player preview: Derryck Thornton ” on social media.