Duke women's basketball player preview: Kyra Lambert

Kyra Lambert

• Year: Freshman 
  • Height: 5-foot-9
  • Position: Guard

Game Breakdown: As a top-ten recruit overall in the Class of 2015, Lambert distinguishes herself with her speed and explosiveness. She can beat opponents down the floor in transition and makes smart decisions on fast-break opportunities. The guard can stretch defenses with her three-point shot when she’s open, but her strong suit is driving to the hoop and finishing around the basket. The Cibolo, Texas, native will force defenses to help on her quick drives to the basket and find open shooters on the perimeter.

Lambert will also be a force to be reckoned with on defense. Her anticipation and aggressive play in passing lanes helped her average 4.5 steals as a senior in high school. Her quickness will frustrate opposing point guards against Duke’s press, and Lambert is capable of turning steals into points in the blink of an eye. The elite freshman will also have the opportunity to match up against All-American transfer Lexie Brown in practice to polish her skills and learn under one of the most experienced and poised point guards in the nation.

Role on the Team: After the departure of senior Kalia Johnson, the Blue Devils have a void at the point guard position they will need to fill this season. Lambert may be able to step right into that void and start at point guard for a team that is suddenly teeming with guards after bringing in the nation’s top-ranked recruiting class. Lambert is a capable floor leader, and the team’s backcourt depth will be conducive to running up and down the floor in an up-tempo game, which would allow Lambert to use her speed to her advantage.

Lambert will likely share ball-handling duties with Rebecca Greenwell and fellow freshman Angela Salvadores, but her speed will give the team a plethora of options when she is on the floor. The addition of Lambert gives the group of guards a true point guard who will limit the turnover woes that plagued the Blue Devils a year ago. 

Projected Statline: 7.0 PPG, 4.5 APG, 2.0 RPG

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball player preview: Kyra Lambert ” on social media.