2015-16 Duke women's basketball preview: Haley Gorecki

Haley Gorecki

• Year: Freshman
  • Height 6-feet
  • Position: Guard

Game Breakdown: The four-star recruit from Palatine, Ill., is known for her driving ability and aggressiveness at the rim. Gorecki averaged 21.9 points per game during her senior year at William Fremd High School by attacking the basket and capitalizing at the foul-line. Gorecki is more than capable of filling it up at the charity stripe as she shot 78-percent from the line in high school. On her way to leading Fremd to its winningest season in school history, Gorecki proved to be a weapon on the defensive side of the floor as well by racking up 3.4 steals per contest. She also boasts an impressive shooting ability that makes her a potential threat from beyond the arc. 

Gorecki noted that she needed to improve her defensive skills in preparation for this season, which should come rapidly as she defends a talented group of Blue Devil guards in practice this season. Gorecki's stellar play on both sides of the floor in high school led to her being named Illinois Miss Basketball and Gatorade Illinois Player of the Year. 

Role on the Team: Gorecki is a versatile scorer, but it will be interesting to see if she becomes a significant contributor on a Duke team crowded at the guard position. Although she brings the depth to the guard position that the team lacked last year, Gorecki is not the only backcourt addition to this year’s Blue Devils. With the arrival of point guard Angela Salvadores and the return of guard Rebecca Greenwell—along with the addition of three other floor generals in this year’s recruiting class—Gorecki will have to perform at her best in order to see consistent minutes. The majority of Gorecki’s playing time will likely be at the shooting guard position, as she can serve as a valuable facilitator that can stretch the floor for Duke. 

Projected statline: 4.0 PPG, 1.5 RPG, 1.0 APG, 0.5 SPG

Share and discuss “2015-16 Duke women's basketball preview: Haley Gorecki ” on social media.