Duke basketball 2015-16 player preview: Justin Robinson

Justin Robinson

• Year: Freshman
  • Height: 6-foot-8
  • Position: Forward

Game Breakdown: Originally tabbed as a preferred walk-on, Robinson was offered a scholarship by head coach Mike Krzyzewski in May to become the sixth member of Duke’s highly touted freshman class. Surrounded by nine McDonalds All-Americans, the San Antonio, Texas, native will have difficultly finding playing time in Durham, but his athleticism and rebounding ability will make him a formidable opponent in practice. A power forward with pedigree, Robinson is the son of 10-time NBA All-Star David Robinson who won both the Naismith and Wooden Awards during his college years at Navy. Justin Robinson—standing at 6-foot-8 now—is said to still be growing and could still break 7-foot similar to his father, who grew over three inches during his college career, peaking at 7-foot-1.

Role on the Team: Robinson will spend most of the year watching games from the bench, but will have the opportunity to push his teammates in practice and support them from the sideline throughout the season. If Krzyzewski does call Robinson’s number, he will provide short minutes off the bench at the four spot, lending fresh legs, steady hands and a healthy dose of enthusiasm from the bench.

NBA Comparison: A talented power forward with the chance to break 7-foot, Robinson could very well transition to playing more of a center role in the near future. If that prediction holds true, Robinson’s game would look a lot like that of the Cavaliers' Timofey Mozgov, who has excelled in the pick and roll game by finishing strong at the basket. Although Robinson may not have a chance to prove his talent during his time in Durham, size is something that cannot be taught in the NBA and Robinson stands a chance at getting a camp invite simply due to his physique. 

Projected stats: 0.1 PPG, 0.1 RPG, 0.1 BPG

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2015-16 player preview: Justin Robinson ” on social media.