Recess' picks for upcoming shows this week

Pinhook showcases rap lineup Thursday with local special guests

Throughout the Pinhook's lifespan, the venue has hosted an amazingly eclectic mix of local and national bands but has been surprisingly lacking in the hip-hop/rap area. Today, however, that all changes, with “The Underground Collective presents: OverTone Music Showcase,” an event happening at the Pinhook tonight, Oct. 15 at 8 p.m., including 10 rappers to be announced and featuring special guests Mic Savvy and DJ Merlin.

In spite of tonight's deviation from the venue’s typical rock-inspired sound, it has stuck to its roots in primarily featuring North Carolina natives for this showcase.

Mic Savvy is an MC, producer and musician hailing straight from Raleigh, NC who has been an integral part of the city’s hip-hop scene since his debut single “Mic Savvy - M-I-C-S-A-V-V-Y” in 2004.

Described as a “positive, talented, multifaceted artist who works hard to bring all types of musical genres and talents together” by Amy Lee Roth of Social Magazine, the artist promises to deliver a one-of-a-kind show tonight at the Pinhook.

Joining him will be Triangle native DJ Merlin, who has previously collaborated with other Raleigh/Durham DJs to produce a comprehensive setlist including but not limited to remixes of rock n’ roll classics such as Jimi Hendrix’s “Little Miss Lover” and The Eurythmics’ “Sweet Dreams.”

IndyWeek’s Eric Tullis describes him as “Triangle turntable royalty,” and with such a distinct sound, the artist is sure to be hard to top.

Although none of the other names of the artists performing tonight have been released, the strength of the existing lineup hints that this showcase will be regrettable to miss. Hopefully, this show foreshadows an increase in hip-hop and rap at the Pinhook and other like-minded venues in the Triangle area. Hip-hop has always been an integral part of the culture of North Carolina, with NC natives such as J. Cole having become big names worldwide, and the Pinhook’s recognition of the genre will hopefully stimulate the industry and inspire a resurgence of the music within the city.

Latin pop artist Ricky Martin to visit Duke Performing Arts Center

In the past, the Durham Performing Arts Center, the largest performing arts center in the Carolina’s, has experienced the pulsating energy of hundreds of individuals gathering together to experience the music of artists artist from a variety of musical genres. The center will be filled with the unique sounds of Latin beats as internationally renowned Puerto Rican artist Ricky Martin takes the stage Wednesday, Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. 

This concert is part of his One World Tour, which will visit three continents and play a total of 70 shows to complement the release of his latest studio album, A Quien Quiera Escuchar. Both new and longtime fans alike will be able to experience an live performance of some of his best known works, along with a compilation of newly released original songs.

While this may be the first time Ricky Martin will perform in Durham, he has packed hundreds of concerts around the globe since his debut as part of the Latin band Menudo in 1977.

Although his first and second Spanish studio albums after departing from Menudo achieved great success in Latin America, his third Spanish album, "A Medio Vivir,"  launched him as an international star. The album, primarily "traditional Latin sounds” but integrated various other musical styles, was a drastic change from his previous ballad-influenced melodies. The album sold over 3 million copies worldwide and produced the number one hit single “Maria."

In order to enter the English-speaking music market in the United States, Martin released his first English album Ricky Martin in 1999. The album included his biggest worldwide hit, “Livin’ La Vida Loca," and was nominated for various Grammy Awards. Today, “Living La Vida Loca” is generally recognized as the catalyst for the Latin pop explosion of 1999, and paved the way for other Spanish speaking artists.

In addition to being an influential figure in the music industry, Ricky Martin has become an LGBT symbol and an activist for many social justice issues. He worked alongside the United Nations to promote children rights before the U.S. House International Relations Committee and is actively involved in the Ricky Martin Foundation, a nonprofit child advocacy organization he created in 2002.

Through his music and activism, Ricky Martin continues to be a forerunner in bringing Latin American culture and music to the public. As the day to the concert draws nearer, audiences can forward to experiencing first hand the energetic fusion of horns, percussion, guitar riffs and traditional Latin rhythms that has characterized his success in encouraging interest in Latin American music and culture and has united individuals across the globe.

Share and discuss “Recess' picks for upcoming shows this week” on social media.