SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke men's golf notches another top-5 finish at Crooked Stick Invitational

<p>The Blue Devils strung together another strong weekend to finish third at the Crooked Stick Invitational Tuesday.</p>

The Blue Devils strung together another strong weekend to finish third at the Crooked Stick Invitational Tuesday.

Although tournament champion and No. 1 Illinois won by a commanding 19 shots with a three-day total score of two-over-par, the Blue Devils had several strong individual finishes—particularly on the last day of competition.

No. 7 Duke wrapped up another weekend invitational with another top-five finish, coming in third at the Crooked Stick Invitational tournament at the par-72 Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, Ind. Sophomore Adam Wood—a Zionsville, Ind., native—led the way with his third top-10 finish of the season, tying for sixth individually with a three-over-par following a strong final round of 71.

Wood's strong performance came after he finished second in both the Rod Meyers Invitational and the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational earlier this season. Wood has come in under par in a team-leading six of his nine rounds, and won his matchup in the Dick’s Sporting Goods Collegiate Challenge Cup against Kentucky in a 3-2 victory for Duke.

Junior Matt Oshrine finished tied for eighth with a final round 75 after a solid first two rounds on the course. Oshrine’s individual performance in Indiana marked his second top-10 standing this year after collecting eighth in Duke's second-place finish at the Rod Meyers Invitational. The Baltimore native had come in under par in four of his nine rounds prior to this weekend's tournament.

Junior Max Greyserman also performed well and tied for 20th in his second top-20 finish of the year at 13-over-par, and sophomore Jake Shuman rebounded from a season-low 57th place finish at the Nike Invitational by narrowly missing out on a top-20 finish of his own. Shuman's score of 14-over par put him in a tie for 23rd for the tournament. Greyserman has shot consistently thus far this season, tying for 36th in the Rod Meyers Invitational and 11th at the Nike Invitational.

Rounding out Duke’s performance for the weekend were freshmen Alex Smalley and Shrish Dwivedi, who both finished in the top 50. Smalley tied for 41st at 20-over par and Dwivedi—who competed as an individual—shot a three-day total of 237 to come in 43rd. Smalley has had a strong season to date with two other top-30 finishes and Dwivedi came in 12th in his only other tournament of the season.

The Blue Devils will complete their fall schedule in Kiawah Island, S.C. at the Wendy’s Kiawah Classic from Nov. 1-3. 

Share and discuss “Duke men's golf notches another top-5 finish at Crooked Stick Invitational” on social media.